Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tacoma Videos

Notices

Custom Gauge Install in my '05 Tacoma

Old 04-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Custom Gauge Install in my '05 Tacoma

I've still got some outboard sensors that I need to install, but here's how I installed the gauge display and controls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iIx11F-cco

Old 04-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
amazing, the stuff you come up with pb. soon you will figure out a way to make your truck drive itself. push a button on your keyring and your truck comes to you.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Cool man, that looks very nice, how much is the lil gadget worth??
Old 04-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
sweet setup,pb!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
Cool man, that looks very nice, how much is the lil gadget worth??
$400. Which is not bad considering all it can do. www.plxdevices.com.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Nice setup man!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2themax View Post
$400. Which is not bad considering all it can do. www.plxdevices.com.
Not that expensive, Does it work like a fancy scangauge??
Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
BLOCKADE will become famous soon enoughBLOCKADE will become famous soon enough
BLOCKADE's Tacoma Gallery
That is exactly what I've been looking for! I have a '69 Camaro that I want to keep original looking, but really wanted some more gauges. This thing is perfect!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
Mod Master

Quote:
Not that expensive, Does it work like a fancy scangauge??
It does everything the ScanGauge does, plus a lot more.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOCKADE View Post
That is exactly what I've been looking for! I have a '69 Camaro that I want to keep original looking, but really wanted some more gauges. This thing is perfect!
Yeah, this would be great for you. But of course you wouldn't need the OBD2 version on a car that's older than 1996. You'd just need the regular DM-200, which is cheaper anyway. Then you would just add all the individual sensor modules.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Flaadog is on a distinguished road

Flaadog's Tacoma Gallery
Took apart the remote and put it in to your mirror???? Good lord! You have some skills man.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #14
Mod Master

Thanks guys. I'm lovin this gauge. I should update my youtube video. I changed the settings and colors to match my dash lights. You can also upload custom gauges and wallpapers. I could put a Toyota logo or picture of my truck in the background.

I also like the adjustable warning points. For example, I have it set so that a flashing warning screen will pop up whenever my engine coolant goes over 205 degrees. You can do this with any sensor, and any number of sensors. Low oil pressure, high or low voltage, hot trans fluid, afr too rich or lean, etc. Or you can make it so that the warning screen wont pop up until multiple limits are exceeded. Like, it can ignore high coolant temp, but once thats combined with high trans temp then a warning screen will pop up for both of them.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #15

Im wondering, how did you did the mirror window? just scratched the "mirror paint" ?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #16
Mod Master

Quote:
Im wondering, how did you did the mirror window? just scratched the "mirror paint" ?
Yeah, pretty much. Mark the outline on the back of the mirror, and then tape it off. You have to be careful not to scratch the glass. I've been an avid Dremmel Tool user for about a decade now. So I used a Dremmel Tool with a brass wire wheel to remove the bulk of the "silver stuff" on the back of the mirror. Then I cleaned up the edges with two razor blades. I use one razor blade as a straight edge, and then follow it with the other razor blade, scraping the "silver stuff" off of the mirror. Then I polish out any little scratches with a Dremmel Tool that has heavy cut polish on a cloth wheel. The end result is a nice clear window for the screen to shine through.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #17
AK Backcountry is on a distinguished road

AK Backcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Great Install!! I just installed a Scangauge II, now I have to figure out a way to explain to the wife why I need this gauge.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #18
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Backcountry View Post
Great Install!! I just installed a Scangauge II, now I have to figure out a way to explain to the wife why I need this gauge.
My wife doesn't bother to even ask anymore.
She knows' I'll just BS her.
LOL
Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #19
Slvr_DblTaco is on a distinguished road

Slvr_DblTaco's Tacoma Gallery
PB,
Impressive work!
Old 05-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #20
6taco is on a distinguished road
6taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Nice install

That is sick looking. Maybe PLX could take your idea and make a mirror with that device already installed. So that way you have the best of both worlds a dimming mirror that has all of the vehicle parameters.