LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Why is my speedometer not accurate?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #21
Zombie Response Team
ROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
ROCKSLINGER's Tacoma Gallery
I have the hypertech speedometer recalibrater installed in my truck. Seems to work. But I have a bigger issue with mine where it will be off by as much as 10 mph sometimes and other times be dead on according to the gps. That seems to mostly happen when I'm putting my foot into it. If I'm spinning my tires or doing donuts in the snow sometimes it will say I'm doing 15 mph when I'm stopped and will continue to be off by 15 mph till I shut it off and let it rest. Any ideas on that?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #22
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
cinch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004robert View Post
I have the hypertech speedometer recalibrater installed in my truck. Seems to work. But I have a bigger issue with mine where it will be off by as much as 10 mph sometimes and other times be dead on according to the gps. That seems to mostly happen when I'm putting my foot into it. If I'm spinning my tires or doing donuts in the snow sometimes it will say I'm doing 15 mph when I'm stopped and will continue to be off by 15 mph till I shut it off and let it rest. Any ideas on that?

If you are spinning your tires or doing donuts then your wheels and drivetrain are turning even if you're not moving and the speedo is sensing the drivetraing turning.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #23
chaztoyo is on a distinguished road
Name: Chaz
chaztoyo's Tacoma Gallery
I just checked mine this weekend with a gps, and at 60 indicated I was actually going 58 per the gps. I can live with the 2 mph difference, especially since the speedo is reading fast. This is in a 2010 TRD sport, so it has the 17 in wheels. If it was off by 5 or 6, that would be a little too much.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #24
tig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
tig1's Tacoma Gallery
why is my speed?

I have a 2009 Taco,access cab an when I was going down the road the police have a portable radar that tells you your speed. I held my truck at 65 kms and the radar read 62 kms.

later tig1
Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #25
Zombie Response Team
ROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
ROCKSLINGER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinch View Post
If you are spinning your tires or doing donuts then your wheels and drivetrain are turning even if you're not moving and the speedo is sensing the drivetraing turning.
Yes I realize that. But it even happens when im not spinning out.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #26
Tugger161 is on a distinguished road
Navy: ET2 USS Salinan 61-63
Name: Bill
Tugger161's Tacoma Gallery
2011 Tacoma dbl cab gps 62 speedo 65. Dealer says this is normal on all Toyota's. Frist car-truck i had that did not match gps. Stock 16" Tires
Old 09-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #27
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
Changing my 5 lug's 215-70s to 235-70s brought my GPS and speedometer into agreement. It was off by about 4-5% before that.
That's what I plan to do next time I need tires so it good to know that the 215 to 235 will correct the error since I am also 5% low on my odometer/speedometer.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #28
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMac View Post
Mine was the same way until I got 265s. Now it's dead on. Since your speedo is reading fast, wouldn't it be safe to asume that the odometer is also turning too fast? In other words, you've got more miles showing on your truck than you've actually driven...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Yup, as far as I know. And if you really want to give yourself an aneurysm do the math. It's actually a significant amount. Up close to 100k miles it's over 8k miles I believe. Your calculation will also depend heavily on what you use for your "average" speed that you think the truck will see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
On most vehicles I have noticed that the speed the computer actually sees--and the one that is used to compute the odometer reading--agrees with GPS speed very closely. It's the speedometer needle that is off.
I'm bringing this back. After getting my Duratracs put on a few months ago I'm consistently getting shitty mileage now. I don't have a lift so mine are the largest you can put on the stock ride height, nothing extreme. My speedometer reads DEAD ON now that I have the larger tires. I'm also getting roughly 300miles to a tank now and about 3-4mpg less than before. My mileage readings have been quite consistent regardless of how much I focus on driving conservatively.

This confirms that larger tires on your truck will in fact slow down the rate at which your odometer reads miles.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #29
Quo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Paul
Quo Fan's Tacoma Gallery
My speedo on my '08 Access Cab reads 70 when my GPS says 65. I know the variation, and just cruise along at "70".
Old 11-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #30
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think tire size is the main factor. I have a TRD Sport and it's only reading 3mph over confirmed with GPS and driving by one of those police "your speed is" get ups. The larger tires on mine mean that the speedo will be closer to right. People with slightly larger tires than the ones I have seem to be right on the money with accuracy.

I actually like that mine is a bit over. Keeps me out of trouble.

x2
Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #31
ruger1 is on a distinguished road
ruger1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm bringing this back. After getting my Duratracs put on a few months ago I'm consistently getting shitty mileage now. I don't have a lift so mine are the largest you can put on the stock ride height, nothing extreme. My speedometer reads DEAD ON now that I have the larger tires. I'm also getting roughly 300miles to a tank now and about 3-4mpg less than before. My mileage readings have been quite consistent regardless of how much I focus on driving conservatively.

This confirms that larger tires on your truck will in fact slow down the rate at which your odometer reads miles.
My mileage went to shit when i installed my duratracs also. I went from 18-18.5 MPG to 16 MPG now. I never checked my speedometer before i installed them. Will try it today.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #32
ruger1 is on a distinguished road
ruger1's Tacoma Gallery
I just checked my odometer against a gps and my odometer is dead on now with my 265/75-16 duratracs installed. I guess my MPG's now are acccurate compared to before.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #33
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger1 View Post
I just checked my odometer against a gps and my odometer is dead on now with my 265/75-16 duratracs installed. I guess my MPG's now are acccurate compared to before.
I have been getting these exact results with the same size Duratracs. I thought the tread pattern was killing mileage. I didn't think that it's actually more accurate now.

PS some of you guys are thinking tire width will fix the speedo (the higher number: 2XX). Its the combination of the wheel size, width, and ratio that give you diameter.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #34
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Here is where it gets contradictory & bizarre.......265/70/16s, GPS says 70 and speedo says 67-68 BUT........the odo/trip matches the mile markers exactly on different frwys for 10-15 mile spans around town. I have done this on 4-5 interstate & state hwys around my area with same results. I mean they are never more than a tenth +/- off from mile to mile and avg out dead on for total distance. WTF do you adjust? I'm OK with the speedo being in my favor a couple or few mph for not getting a ticket & as long as the odo/trip are correct then my mpg calculations are correct. Just weird shit that speedo can be off a few but odo isn't. Seems both would be affected like in my old truck that had mechanical vs. electronic speedo/odo.