Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Why is my speedometer not accurate?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Claudio D is on a distinguished road

Claudio D's Tacoma Gallery
Why is my speedometer not accurate?

About 2 weeks ago I finally bought a nice GPS. Anyways its showing me that my speedo is reading 5-6 mph over. I do not like that at all. Is it possible to adjust the speedo? Also how is it done and what will it cost to correct it? Or are they all this way? Also my tacoma is stock tires not worn.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is the same way...I rely on the GPS for an accurate read...tire size could also have something to do w/it [maybe].
Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I think tire size is the main factor. I have a TRD Sport and it's only reading 3mph over confirmed with GPS and driving by one of those police "your speed is" get ups. The larger tires on mine mean that the speedo will be closer to right. People with slightly larger tires than the ones I have seem to be right on the money with accuracy.

I actually like that mine is a bit over. Keeps me out of trouble.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Mine's the silver one...
SilverMac is a jewel in the roughSilverMac is a jewel in the roughSilverMac is a jewel in the roughSilverMac is a jewel in the rough

SilverMac's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was the same way until I got 265s. Now it's dead on. Since your speedo is reading fast, wouldn't it be safe to asume that the odometer is also turning too fast? In other words, you've got more miles showing on your truck than you've actually driven...
Old 06-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Claudio D is on a distinguished road

Claudio D's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replys. When the time comes I will up size the tires to 265 but I got a 4cyl will I lose much low end power? Should I ask the dealership to recalibrate the speedo? Im not happy about the inaccuracy! On my Suzuki GSXR its just a part you plug in "speedo healer" it was also about 5mph off.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMac View Post
Mine was the same way until I got 265s. Now it's dead on. Since your speedo is reading fast, wouldn't it be safe to asume that the odometer is also turning too fast? In other words, you've got more miles showing on your truck than you've actually driven...
Yup, as far as I know. And if you really want to give yourself an aneurysm do the math. It's actually a significant amount. Up close to 100k miles it's over 8k miles I believe. Your calculation will also depend heavily on what you use for your "average" speed that you think the truck will see.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMac View Post
On most vehicles I have noticed that the speed the computer actually sees--and the one that is used to compute the odometer reading--agrees with GPS speed very closely. It's the speedometer needle that is off.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:34 AM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is the same way but that was after adding 33" tires. I honestly think yours needs adjustment.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #10
maxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud of
maxboostcore's Tacoma Gallery
My Tacoma speedometer is 2 mph difference to my gps but my integra speedometer matches with my gps speed fine. I was wondering that too because I would like it to match with my gps.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
I complained about this back in 2006 while under warranty. They ran tests and said it was within spec...something like it can be 10% off at 60 mph...~5-6mph off. Sucks but I think that's the way it is...calibrations is expensive.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
It's as much a legal as a technical issue ... Toyota (like many other manufacturers) spec's the speedometer's allowable variance so it reads on the 'fast' side. If they allowed it to read 'slow' they could be liable for tricking you into speeding.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Maybe we should start a class-action suit since our odometers might be off. Although I read another thread that said a scangauge read the speed correctly, so there's something fishy going on between the input and the actual gauge reading.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #14
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
Maybe we should start a class-action suit since our odometers might be off. Although I read another thread that said a scangauge read the speed correctly, so there's something fishy going on between the input and the actual gauge reading.
There's no reason to do that. It is defined by both UN and US federal laws the amount allowed to be off. Pretty senseless to sue a company for following the law.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
There's no reason to do that. It is defined by both UN and US federal laws the amount allowed to be off. Pretty senseless to sue a company for following the law.
Sorry, I should have put a smiley face...I was (somewhat) kidding. This reminded me of a recent class action with a similar issue...where speed-o's forced odometers to be off...everyone was granted an extended warranty to compensate, among other specific damages for improper warranty coverage, lost value of vehicle, etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
On another car forum, people were discussing how to 'correct' the speedometer for a variety of reasons. People would disassemble the gauge cluster, remove the clear plastic gauge cover, and then get on the highway with some way to monitor speed (one guy had a cop friend with a calibrated speedometer pace him, others used GPS or OBD-2 scanners). They'd confirm their speed at 60 or 70 mph, and then install the needle (or have a passenger do so to be safe!).

If you're that concerned about it being off a little bit, you could probably figure out a way to do that with your Tacoma.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #17
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
cinch's Tacoma Gallery
With regard to manufacturing, speedometers are certified by manufacturers to follow EITHER the U.S. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) J1226 OR the European version, ECR-39. The SAE rule, published in 1983, allows readings to be plus or minus 2 percent of true speed, or on a sliding scale from minus 1 percent to as much as plus 4 percent
Old 08-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Same here... Like 4-5 mph off.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
im about 5mph slow on my speedo , hoping that it will be correct once i step to 285's
Old 08-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #20
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Changing my 5 lug's 215-70s to 235-70s brought my GPS and speedometer into agreement. It was off by about 4-5% before that.