1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV half shafts for Lifted TRUCKS

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BRP27, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jul 1, 2010 at 10:01 AM
    BRP27

BRP27 [OP] When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    My inner boot was torn and the 04 tacoma has 76K on it so I had the CV half shafts replaced yesterday. The mechanic that did the work told me he had put Longer CV half shafts on Chevy lifted trucks. And that without them my boots would fail again( I knew they would fail again but had not heard the longer shaft theory). The failure mode on stock shafts was the boot being stretched when the suspension moved down on the inner CV boot as the shaft went down as the suspension moved. If the upper shaft of the CV that went into the Differential were longer the boot would be under less stress and would not fail on a lifted truck. I did some searching and I could not find after market CV half shafts that are modified like this.

I had looked at boot failure as the more it was compressed(bunched up) the more likely it was to fail. the boot ribs rub and cause the boot to fail due to bending.

There are a lot of lifted Tacomas why do the Chevys get the aftermarket parts? And does a longer shaft make sense

2. Jul 2, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    BRP27

BRP27 [OP] When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off

Products Discussed in

To Top