Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Throttle Body Bypass Mod

Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Throttle Body Bypass Mod

I've been reading up on the Throttle Body Bypass Mod and haven't found any info on TW. It seems simple and might help keep my air intake cooler in these summer months. Has anybody had any good or bad experiences with this mod? Its not in the DIY so I'm guessing a lot of people don't know much about it.

here are the hoses that connect to the Throttle body.

Here are some links i have read about it on different forums.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...le+Body+Bypass

The nissan forum shows a pic of how the mod should look.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...-thread-13631/
Old 07-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if the links mention this, but, You can install a couple of ball valves on them. One on each hose. That way, You can open them in the winter time. I have done this a few times in the past, but never noticed any gain from it.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your input Chris.
The scanguage wont see a differece since it reads the air temp before it enters the throttle body. I think I read that there's a valve that stops the flow once the coolant gets to operating temp. I'll keep on doing some research.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
Bringing back an old post!

what do ya'll think about this mod? Considering doing it, with a ball valve like chris mentioned.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandigirolamo View Post
Bringing back an old post!

what do ya'll think about this mod? Considering doing it, with a ball valve like chris mentioned.
I think if your in LA, you will have no need to open it up for winter
Old 01-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. so excuse my ignorance but what does this accomplish? is there a geographic area this mod is more suited to?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpneely View Post
Interesting. so excuse my ignorance but what does this accomplish? is there a geographic area this mod is more suited to?
Well.. This is just an educated guess, as I haven't personally checked for coolant lines in our throttle bodies, but if memory serves, we don't have them.

I'm assuming they are used to help keep the throttle body warm during winter in order to keep it from freezing so it will stay working properly. You wouldn't want the throttle boddy freezing open on you mid driving or something.

The adverse effect of that would be that a warm throttle body would slightly heat the air passing through it, making it expand slightly and therefor not as much would make it into the combustion chamber. Hence why you want cold air in the first place, more dense
Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpneely View Post
This mod, bypasses the coolant lines from your throttle body. Currently, there is a inlet and outlet on your throttle body of which coolant enters and heats the throttle body. This is done so that in the winter or cool weather, your throttle body doesn't form ice from the increase in differential pressure as air passes over the valve.

Some people say that the mod lowers intake temp pass the throttle body. People in northern/colder weather shouldn't do this mod because ice may form in the throttle body, making cold starts difficult and the throttle to stick.

Me, being in New Orleans, i don't see a need for this line in place. but im wondering, is it even worth it to do? The point of a good intake is to get cold air into the intake. Whats the point, if the throttle body just heats it back up?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส

dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Well.. This is just an educated guess, as I haven't personally checked for coolant lines in our throttle bodies, but if memory serves, we don't have them.
We do have the lines in place....

See steps 5.A and 5.B in the link below.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...ta/0050066.pdf

edit: also, the pictures the OP posted.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Not sure if the links mention this, but, You can install a couple of ball valves on them. One on each hose. That way, You can open them in the winter time. I have done this a few times in the past, but never noticed any gain from it.
That is a great idea.

On my last car, I just coupled the two hoses together. I live in a warm(er) climate, but would love to visit the mountains now that I'm in a 4x4.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I doubt you will get much of a gain from this.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post

I'm assuming they are used to help keep the throttle body warm during winter in order to keep it from freezing so it will stay working properly. You wouldn't want the throttle boddy freezing open on you mid driving or something.

The adverse effect of that would be that a warm throttle body would slightly heat the air passing through it, making it expand slightly and therefor not as much would make it into the combustion chamber. Hence why you want cold air in the first place, more dense
ahh i get it now. grassy-ass senor
Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:
We do have the lines in place....

See steps 5.A and 5.B in the link below.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...ta/0050066.pdf

edit: also, the pictures the OP posted.
Good to know, I wasn't sure if the OP's pictures were from a tacoma or the Nissan thread he mentioned
Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
His ATRAC would see significant improvement

btw whipper, I started an actual build thread
\/\/\/\/\/\/
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #15
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส

dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Same thing im thinking, but why does out MAF sensor read temps of 90-100 degrees, then our throttle body will increase that temp to 130-140? A good point of engine efficiency is low intake temps...
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #16
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Placebo effect maybe, but I did this on my car by nippling both ends together. My climate will not freeze throttle bodies.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This ^^^ The lines simply keep the TB from freezing from condensation. The air flow isnt slow enough to be affected by the lines running thru it, so air temp doesnt change going into the engine.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Same thing im thinking, but why does out MAF sensor read temps of 90-100 degrees, then our throttle body will increase that temp to 130-140? A good point of engine efficiency is low intake temps...
I could be wrong, but I really don't think you'd get a 40 degree temp increase..
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #19
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
IAT sensor, MAF measures flow...............
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #20
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree.

The car I coupled the hoses together on was a Subaru STI with a top mount intercooler... There was a lot of heatsoak with the TMIC, and because it was turbo charged, the car hated heat more than most. I tried doing every possible thing cool the intake air.