Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Swapping ECU's

Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: AMMO
Name: Daniel
TacomaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Swapping ECU's

Hey everyone. I'm installing a supercharger on my 96. I talked to Gadget at URD and he said that I need an ECU from a 97 and newer and it will be a plug and play as long as its same (i.e. x-cab, 3.4, 4x4). So I secured one from the same as mine but its a 99. Do you think I will have to upgrade any other electronics for the engine? I dont want to throw a code but I have a feeling I will.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bumpity?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ramon
xroller's Tacoma Gallery
probably not to be honest. I don't understand why you have to upgrade though. Maybe elborate a bit more and we can get a better understanding on what's going on.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Don't go off ninjin
Well I spoke with Gadget at URD and he said that with my ECU the engine will cut off once it notices the air flowing like crazy. He explained it that the fuel mapping in the newer ECU has the correct parameters for a supercharger because it was an option on 97 and newer so all ECU's had the fuel mapping for a supercharger. Whereas it wasnt an option for 95.5-96 so we dont have the correct mapping.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ramon
xroller's Tacoma Gallery
Oh ok.... if that's the only case and he says it's a direct swap then it shouldn't be any problems. I just know we can't do that because they are VIN specific if i'm not mistaken which doesn't make sense because it can't tell what vin it's under at least I don't think.... maybe I dunno but that is the problem we have as far as yours go it should be a direct swap without a problem.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Don't go off ninjin
Ya i was just concerned because of maybe them upgrading the electronics such as the MAF and TPS and stuff like that. Well I already bought the ECU so I guess the only way is to plug it in and find out?