1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission not shifting in OD.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by bwebb, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Jul 5, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    bwebb

bwebb [OP] Member

Member:
    Vt
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5
    My truck is a 2001 Tacoma 2.7 liter, automatic 4x4, access cab pickup. I have been having problems lately with the transmission not shifting into Overdrive. It seems it will only make it to the fourth gear. Before it would shift fine, then if it downshifted automatically from the 5th gear into the 4th it would stay there. Also lately it has been going into higher RPMs before shifting on all gears up to 2-3 rpms. At 60mph on highway it will stay at 3 rpm?? I'm not sure what to do. I have NOT change the transmission fluid, the fluid looks fine, not burnt. Toyota put a new frame, Iam the 2nd owner.

One other problem, it seems when toyota put the new frame on they did not tighten the exhaust manifold bolts when they put everything back together, now it is leaking. I can see that one nut is loose on the exhaust, and it looks like there is a small crack on the end of the manifold near the exhaust manifold bolts? I don't believe that is there fault? But I'm not sure. The A/T P light has came on on the cluster instrument panel, when you put it in drive, it goes away. When you put it in Park it turns on. They also didn't tighten the emergeny brake cable and that fell off along with the nut that holds it on??? Where do you start, seems like one thing after another.
    Also I'm new on here, lol so hello to everyone, and thanks for any help you can give.
    Brian

2. Jul 5, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    If the manifold bolts are loose you could be getting blow by and loosing back pressure which sometimes spells loss of torque. Perhaps this is your issue causing the car to always down shift. Just a thought. I would definitely get that all torqued down.

3. Jul 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Firefighter160

Firefighter160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Ive had similar problems with my 98, first do a fluid change and put a new screen(filter) in the trans pan. You will need a new gasket while you are under there. Don't get a flush just put new high quality fluid in there and maybe a bottle of lucas additive. In some cases the screen is just gunked up and not allowing enough pressure to change gears correctly. Also if you have a check engine light coming on be sure to get it scanned, with the ECT transmission it sends codes up just like the engine. I ignored my check engine light once while my transmission was not shifting correctly and after changing fluids, screens, gaskets and additives I had almost given up and ended up scanning it and it sent a shift solenoid code. I pulled the pan again and tested the ohms on the shift solenoids and one gave me alot more than the others, I ordered it from napa, put it in and never had another problem, that truck has over 200k miles on it now and still runs great.

4. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    bwebb

bwebb [OP] Member

Member:
    Vt
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5
    thanks ff160. I have the trans kit, but am wondering how you test the solenoid. What they look like? How much are they? What type of a reading were you getting, how hard are they to change??
    Thanks again
    Brian

5. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    bwebb

bwebb [OP] Member

Member:
    Vt
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5
    Also to add my overdrive button, on the shifter, no longer works. The light comes on when you push it in, but it's stuck or not working>

6. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad

Sounds more like an electrical problem to me, are you getting a check engine light?

7. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
  8. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
  9. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    bwebb

bwebb [OP] Member

Member:
    Vt
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5
    ok thanks, i went on napa but couldn't find them, I'll stop in tommorow and get the fluids and additives, and check the solenoids. Seemed like earlier when it started acting like this, you could stop, put it in park, then back in drive, and it would shift normally, I did notice a dent in the pan, maybe that is restricting fluid flow?? Thanks again
    Brian

10. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Your truck only has a 4 speed auto. Not a 5 speed.

11. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    bwebb

bwebb [OP] Member

Member:
    Vt
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5
    Chris thanks, goes to show you how much i know about this truck lol. I've owned it for about 4 months, i'm learning tho.

12. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
  13. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Also did you notice if you have a check engine light yet?

14. Jul 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    bwebb

bwebb [OP] Member

Member:
    Vt
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5
    sorry ff160, yes i do have a check engine light on. My cousin plugged it in before, and it came back as a loose gas cap, i don't know what it will read now, but i can find out. Looks like i have the wrong transmission filter too, gasket does not look like it is the correct one. The number is TF128, blue white and red box??? bolt holes in gasket are too big as well, along with the shape.

15. Jul 5, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Yes be sure to scan for the check engine light, this link will tell you how to check your solenoids, its the only way I figured mine out!

Products Discussed in

To Top