Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

need help identifying bolt

Old 07-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
RBG is on a distinguished road
RBG's Tacoma Gallery
need help identifying bolt

hey everyone,
This is the first time I've ever posted here, but I've browsed this site before for advice and what not.

This weekend, I noticed a slight oil leak. I don't know much about cars, but I studied mechanical engineering in college and I generally can figure out how things work and what the problem is.

I climbed under the truck, and right above the leak there was a bolt that had oil seeping around the sides. It is almost directly under the engine and the bolt is perpendicular to the ground. I need help in identifying what this this. Do any of you know ? Do any of you have access to a drawing that identifies the basic components under the truck ?

I've got a really crappy picture I took with my phone that I can post, but figured I'd see what you guys think first.

Thanks !
Old 07-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like your oil plug...
Old 07-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
lets see the pic first
Old 07-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
RBG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter160 View Post
Sounds like your oil plug...
No. I know what that is. This is about a foot closer to the front of the car than the oil plug.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Hmm does it hold any thing on or have other bolts near it? Really need that pic now....
Old 07-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on needing the pic
Old 07-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
RBG's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the pic:

Old 07-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #8

Law Enforcement:
Thats definetly your oil drain plug for the engine, not to be confused with the one further back for the trans....
Old 07-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

its real hard to tell from the pic there...if had a pic zoomed out more would help but it belive it is the oil drain bolt
Old 07-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
BIG DADDY

you prob. just need a new crush washer
or snug it up a lil
Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Tactical Trunk Monkey
Celtic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nick
Celtic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Celtic Send a message via Yahoo to Celtic
Yeah I'd say its the washer...but also make sure its tight too. Doesnt need to be crazy tight, but good and snug.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a couple pics from Chris's oil change thread, does the bolt look like this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Also see: 3.4L 5VZ 1st Gen oil change

Get a 14mm socket, and find the Oil drain plug under the truck:

After breaking it loose, remove it and let the oil drain out:

After the Oil drains out, with a new gasket on the drain plug, reinstall the plug in the Oil pan and torque to 30 lb-ft: