Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Do You Turn On AC/Heat At Start Of The Engine?

View Poll Results: Heat/Ac on at start of engine?
Yes 88 51.76%
No 82 48.24%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Do You Turn On AC/Heat At Start Of The Engine?

I have an auto starter and I use it mostly for the winter. I usually have the heat set at the second out of four, so that when I start up my car the snow will be melted after 10 minutes or so.

And now that it's summer I turn on my AC right when I manually start my car.

How long after you let your car run before you turn on heat/ac?

Is it a bad thing for the engine or other components? If so....why/how?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I keep it off until the engine fires up. THen turn it on. A couple things.....The Compressor wont engage until the engine fires up, however, Im "Old School".
Old 07-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
I keep the AC off until after startup. For me it's a parts-preservation thing...it is an extra unnecessary load on the engine at startup. The engine cranks harder and longer which puts a strain on parts, particularly the starter.

In the winter, I typically have the heat on when it's warming up. But if I drive it immediately, I'll keep it off until the engine warms up.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
jesseunvoas is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Volunteer
Name: Jesse
jesseunvoas's Tacoma Gallery
it's not bad for you truck the heat won't come until it's warms up anyways and a/c comes on with defrost
Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! Great inputs.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I don't even think about it.

If its on when I shut the truck off, it's on when I start it. I don't go outta my way to start it or shut it off. The truck can handle it.... if it can't, then shame on Toyota.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseunvoas View Post
it's not bad for you truck the heat won't come until it's warms up anyways and a/c comes on with defrost
Even if the A/C light is off, it is actually still on every time defrost is on?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
^yup. there is a mod to "fix" it though
Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
like a boss
middiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security
Name: Joe
middiedefense's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to middiedefense
Yea I usually don't go out of my way to ensure the AC is off before start up. I have a buddy that freaks out about this kinda stuff but I figure its not his POS S-10 so it can handle it.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
Never seen Forest Gump

tim920's Tacoma Gallery
^lol My girlfriend is somewhat the same. She makes sure my radio is off before we leave the car. OCD?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I guess that explains why my windshield keeps freezing up when it's on defrost mode, even when it's 80 degrees out (I like the indirect air flow)?

I actually took my temp controls apart the other day trying to get it to stop turning the A/C on when it is turned all the way to cool, but no joy, I couldn't get deep enough into it, and gave it up since I was sweating my ballz off at the time.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Ac with defrost is to remove moisture from the air.
Starting with everything running will not hurt anything. Accesories are disconnected while starting. Notice that the headlights, radio and fan cut off while starting?
Excessive idling will cause some issues (use severe oil change recommendations). As long as you have a 20min drive after the engine reaches normal temp, you shouldn't have any battery issues.
Short trips combimned with excessive idling in winter are battery eaters. Keep idling to 10 min or less.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
I keep the AC off until after startup. For me it's a parts-preservation thing...it is an extra unnecessary load on the engine at startup. The engine cranks harder and longer which puts a strain on parts, particularly the starter.

In the winter, I typically have the heat on when it's warming up. But if I drive it immediately, I'll keep it off until the engine warms up.
x2....same here
Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Ac with defrost is to remove moisture from the air.
Starting with everything running will not hurt anything. Accesories are disconnected while starting. Notice that the headlights, radio and fan cut off while starting?
Excessive idling will cause some issues (use severe oil change recommendations). As long as you have a 20min drive after the engine reaches normal temp, you shouldn't have any battery issues.
Short trips combimned with excessive idling in winter are battery eaters. Keep idling to 10 min or less.
Agree excessive idling is bad for the engine, but the battery will charge just fine, regardless if you are idling or driving. It will charge more as the rpm's increase though.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post
Even if the A/C light is off, it is actually still on every time defrost is on?
Yes, this is how the defroster works...the AC dries the air, then the dry air is blown onto the glass picking up the moisture off the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I haven't seen this mod, but I'm not sure it's the best idea...kind of defeats the purpose of a defroster. It can't "defrost" if your blowing moist air onto the glass, it probably makes it worse in some conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
^lol My girlfriend is somewhat the same. She makes sure my radio is off before we leave the car. OCD?
The AC is the only thing I turn off when I shut the engine off...the electrical loads are negligible compared to the AC compressor...no need to shut them down.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
Yes, this is how the defroster works...the AC dries the air, then the dry air is blown onto the glass picking up the moisture off the glass.

I haven't seen this mod, but I'm not sure it's the best idea...kind of defeats the purpose of a defroster. It can't "defrost" if your blowing moist air onto the glass, it probably makes it worse in some conditions.

I haven't had the truck long enough to try the defroster in the winter yet, but in the summer it is a pain in the butt because on a warm dry day it actually fogs the windshield up and then the fog freezes unless you turn the heater on or keep running the wipers.
Not liking the A/C linked defroster at all.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #17
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
I shut off my a/c before turning off my truck and start the a/c right after I start the truck.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #18
gfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to behold

Name: Gary
gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
Generally most modern vehicles the accessories are disconnected during the actual starter motor running process. So it really should not matter if any A/C, Heat, Radio was on to the battery when you start the car. Now if you tend to sit there for a few minutes and have a questionable battery then you could run it down to where it won't start.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The more accessories you have on=less for the battery. Cold batteries have less reserve capacity. The battery will charge, but will take much longer at idle.

Also notice that you can't run recirc and defrost at the same time. That prevents fogging too.

Why would you need defrost in the summer?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Why would you need defrost in the summer?
Sometimes I just like the indirect air from the defrost vent with the temp control turned down, it allows 'fresh' air without having it blowing right on you. Just a preference.