LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Brake fluid change

Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Question Brake fluid change

Anyone on here change / flush their brake fluid on a regular basis? If so how often? I have read/heard most people never do this at all.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I'd think about once every year or two. Gadget has a good page on it here
http://www.gadgetonline.com/BrakeFlush.htm
Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've never flushed brake fluid, but I know my Honda Civic owners manual says every 3 years, regardless of mileage. I live in a very dry climate in Nevada, but if I lived where it was more humid, I would probably flush it every few years to get any moisture out of the system. JMO.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Red face

I never really ever thought about it, until a mechanic told me my wifes accord needs it done. The thing has almost 150,000 miles on it and the brakes still feel good and tight. I am going to do it though hopefully we'll get another 150,000 miles out of it. My wife loves that car more than me, but I think she feels the same about me and my Tacoma
Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
bearing01 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
bearing01's Tacoma Gallery
You're supposed to flush brake fluid every 2 years. I aim for every 4 years.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
The power bleeder from motive products is pretty easy to use if you want to do it yourself. It costs about as much as getting a professional flush done, except you get to use it again next time.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
The only time I've ever flushed the system, was when I was installing new lines, new rotors and had the lines disconnected.

Unless the vehicle is older.... the fluid is contaminated ...or you're bored... go 4 it.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
blackbox will become famous soon enoughblackbox will become famous soon enough
blackbox's Tacoma Gallery
It's worthwhile every few years at least, especially if the manufacturer recommends it. I've only done it once. Had an older Accord, decided to get that done, because of a rusted out brake line on another old vehicle, that one actually broke the line while I was driving it, that's when I understood the value of two separate braking systems, I was able to still drive, although with a lot of care due to much reduced braking effect. Anyway, back to the Accord, I took it to a local Monroe Muffler place, stressed repeatedly (at least 3 times) that I wanted the brake fluid completely replaced, i.e., flushed, and not just the brakes bled. Repeatedly. And then when it was done and I was paying, I asked again, "you did do a complete flush, right?" and every time I was assured that a complete flush would be done, and had been done. A short while later, I notice a rear wheel cylinder is leaking slightly. So I replaced it, went to bleed the brakes, and there is all this very dirty fluid coming out. So I flushed the damn stuff myself, and it was very dirty, and Monroe Muffler in Vienna, WV is a bunch of fermunda-head liars and thieves. Another reason to do it yourself, just like an oil change. As dirty as that fluid was, I have been a believer of brake fluid flushing ever since. It is the same as bleeding, just takes a little longer, have to pump more fluid through until it runs clean, no big deal.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post

I never really ever thought about it, until a mechanic told me my wifes accord needs it done. The thing has almost 150,000 miles on it and the brakes still feel good and tight. I am going to do it though hopefully we'll get another 150,000 miles out of it. My wife loves that car more than me, but I think she feels the same about me and my Tacoma
honda's or any car should be done every 3 years or 45k