Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Question about 4wd operation

Old 07-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
Badwin45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Badwin45's Tacoma Gallery
Question about 4wd operation

After lurking around I think I have a good idea of how the VSC/Auto-LSD work but I still have a couple of questions about the operation of my 2010 DC 4x4 (SR5 package):

1) Is the front differential "open"?

2) Why would it require more throttle input when making sharp turns in 4wd? It feels like the truck is trying to push through the turn. I don't recall my last 4x4 doing this. (of course that was 18 yrs ago...)

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The ffront is an Open diff. The drive train binds when turning in 4 wheel drive. Its normal. Dont use 4 wheel drive on pavement/concrete.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
So in 4H I essentially have 2 open diffs?

Hooray
Old 07-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwin45 View Post
So in 4H I essentially have 2 open diffs?

Hooray

no you have auto lsd front and rear in 4hi. Essentially you have LSD front and rear.

The diffs are open, but when one tire spins the brakes are applied to that wheel to transfer power to the other tire.

not like a clutch type mechanical LSD but same concept. instead of internal clutch it uses the brakes to transfer pwer
Old 07-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The reason you can't turn in 4wd is because the front and rear tires spin at different speeds. If the front and rear tires followed the same path they wouldn't spin at different speeds. Since a 4wd vehicle has no center differential like a AWD vehicle the front and rear wheels can't spin at different speeds.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The reason you can't turn in 4wd is because the front and rear tires spin at different speeds. If the front and rear tires followed the same path they wouldn't spin at different speeds. Since a 4wd vehicle has no center differential like a AWD vehicle the front and rear wheels can't spin at different speeds.

^^^^BINGO^^^^

on another note, follow the 4lo trac in my sig to a how to on making TRAC work in 4Lo. LSD front and rear in 4lo...unstoppable
Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
Thanks guys, I think this is starting to make sense...

I believe the problem is that I took 3 years of latin in high school and the manual is written in greek.

Let's see if I have this straight.
In 2wd, the rear diff is open unless I engage Auto LSD.
In 4wd, Auto LSD is ON thus giving me a virtual LSD.

whippersnapper02: Thanks, that makes sense.