Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

New tacoma owner needs help with a few things

Old 07-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
drshirk is on a distinguished road
drshirk's Tacoma Gallery
New tacoma owner needs help with a few things

Hi all,
I hope I am posting in the correct forum as I am new here. I bought a 2002 2.7l tacoma from my brother. There are a few things wrong with it I need to get fixed.

1st. The when the wheels are going straight the steering wheel is not straight. It is turned to the left. Would a front end allignment fix this or is something else wrong?

2nd The check engine light comes on. Diagnostics says something about the purge valve. My brother does not remember the exact code. Is there a fix for the purge valve I can do myself. Toyota dealer says new purge valve/canister cost anywhere from $300 to $500. Would rather not have to spend that kind of money if there is a way to fix it.

3rd. The oil light on the dash flickers on and off. I checked the oil and it is full.

I think that is it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
You could be talking major problems here. How many miles on the Taco and has it been maintained properly or been beat to shit?
1. Visit a front end shop.
2. Probably a costly fix.
3. Flicking light indicates low oil pressure. Could be diluted oil, bad sensor, bad oil pump, worn engine parts,etc.
Good luck.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!

Get the code read, and post it up. Otherwise, we are just speculating on what the issue is. For the oil light, Check the connections at the sending unit.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
drshirk's Tacoma Gallery
The truck wasn't very well taken care of to be honest. My brother never took off roading or anything but he did tend to let things go. I will try and get the code today and I will take it somewhere to get the front end checked out. Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
drshirk's Tacoma Gallery
The code for the purge valve is P0441- Evaporate Emisson System Incorrect Purge Flow.
Any ideas?