Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Auto transmission Clunk at red light with brake on

Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Rod's Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Rod's Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Auto transmission Clunk at red light with brake on

Often, when stopped at a red light in my 07 Tacoma TRD 2WD, the auto transmission has a noticeable clunk when the brakes are on and the truck is not moving. Sometimes I can also see and hear the engine rpm change. It seems like the transmission may be downshifting to 1st gear while stopped. I've never had a transmission do that after I stopped.

I've read the thread on axle wrap that sounds similar. But I don't think that is the problem because I'm not moving. One reply in that thread suggested that this might be a torque converter issue. Could this be my problem? If it is, does anyone know if it would be covered on the 60K driveline warranty (I have 56K on the truck now?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It's totally normal. Mine does it also.

It can be more 'pronounced' or 'noticable' if you stop quickly.
If you brake early and gradually come to a stop, the 'thump' isn't as noticable.
It can also be more pronounced & noticable if the A/C is on.

The transmission IS part of the drivetrain - so YES, it should be covered under 5 year (?)/60k warrantee.

I would recommend taking the truck in to the dealer and explain the problem to them. They'll probably tell you *it's normal* because it is - but ATLEAST request they check your transmission fluid and fluid level (since, these trucks don't have dipsticks )
Old 07-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, just get used to keeping a firm foot on the brake at stops.

Mine only really does it with the AC on.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Rod's Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Rod's Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. It's a bit unnerving but I guess I'll get used to it.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
yup mine to mostly when the ac is on
Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Same here.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
cw50must is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cw50must's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but mine is doing this too, only when the AC is on. I was considering taking it in to the dealer, but seems as though this is normal? Is there any long term issues, will this get worse? Do we have any solution to the problem? I guess I don't feel like spending the diagnosis fee for them to tell me its normal.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The A/C compressor cycles on and off as needed. When it cycles on, the idle speed is automatically increased at the same time. Pretty annoying, but normal. This also happens when you have heater in defrost setting.