Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How-To: 1GR-FE Supercharger Installation

Old 12-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #41
Clever white boy.
wired_af is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
wired_af's Tacoma Gallery
Just got mine installed and programmed! Used this thread MANY times! Thank you!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #43
Clever white boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
I'm glad it helped you out! Got any pics of the finished job?
Of course I took a pic!

The supercharger is awesome! I was surprised how complete the kit was and how it ALL just bolted up. Crank bolt was the hardest part.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #45
Clever white boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
Nice! Very clean truck What method did you use to get the crank pulley bolt off?
Ugh, I ended up using the starter method. Most painful sounding thing I have ever heard.

The floor jack on breaker bar didn't work, it began lifting the truck quite a bit and made me very uncomfortable. I even bought a better breaker bar in an attempt to reduce the torque lost due to the bar flexing. I made my own pulley holder tool using bar stock. My impact didn't stand a chance to the bolt.

I was sooo glad when it came loose with the starter. Getting the new pulley on and torqued to 204 ft lbs was a breeze.

Installing it was just as fun as using it.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #47
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
I got a question how late is to put a supercharger on a engine. FOr instance my truck has 61k on it. SHould you not pass 100,000 miles or does it not matter?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #48
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Bit of a thread revival...
but I have to say this is an excellent write up and very clear.

This is the new gold standard for how to's.

Thanks for the contribution.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #49
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
I got a question how late is to put a supercharger on a engine. FOr instance my truck has 61k on it. SHould you not pass 100,000 miles or does it not matter?
Hmm...I'm not too familiar with what, if any, problems a higher mileage engine would have if it was supercharged. Personally, 60Kmi isn't all that much for a well-maintained motor. I'd do it I plan on keeping and driving my truck up to and past 100K. I've got 25K on it now and have had the S/C on for 15K. No problems or anything. I've always believed that proper maintenance is key to longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebottomline View Post
Bit of a thread revival...
but I have to say this is an excellent write up and very clear.

This is the new gold standard for how to's.

Thanks for the contribution.
Thank you!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #50
thomasburleson is on a distinguished road
Name: thomas
thomasburleson's Tacoma Gallery
this is awsome i have been wantin to put one on my truck is it a good investment
Old 04-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #51
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I put another one on my moms truck and this was a great reference. I was actually able to use my impact to get the crank bolt out but I was surprised and ready to bust out the ghetto metal piece.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #52
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasburleson View Post
this is awsome i have been wantin to put one on my truck is it a good investment
If you mean moneywise, no. You generally don't get money back out of modifications when it comes time to sell the truck.

The S/C is worth every penny IMO. The truck is a blast to drive and it comes in especially handy when towing.

Your gas mileage will go down a bit and you have to burn premium. I average around 14-15mpg with a good mix of highway and city. The mileage never was good to begin with so its just poop of a different color

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
I put another one on my moms truck and this was a great reference. I was actually able to use my impact to get the crank bolt out but I was surprised and ready to bust out the ghetto metal piece.
Nice! How does she like it?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #53
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
great write up
Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #54
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome write up! Is it true you give up your warranty if you DIY? I have a new truck so I dont know if I want to give that up.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #55
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
Would love to this someday, Ill def be coming back to this, the best/most detailed thread ive ever seen great job +1 Sticky
Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #56
Rad Red Prerunner
eccracer104 has a spectacular aura abouteccracer104 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Mike
eccracer104's Tacoma Gallery
I have no plans for an S/C install anytime soon, but damn this was an awesome write up!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #57
jkarov is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
jkarov's Tacoma Gallery
Outstanding post, great info!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #58
dvd0020 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Offensive Space Control Instructor
Name: Dave
dvd0020's Tacoma Gallery
REVIVED!

Sorry, but have to bring this back to life...

Before I ask, just want to say great write up. Bout to pull the trigger on it, and wanted to do my research on installation. Couldn't get a price below 1050 for install lol. I will definitely be referring to this thread when the time comes.

Anyway, How do you torque the crank bolt to 204lbs to INSTALL without turning the crank? I know you used the pulley tool, but i think I may be using the starter technique for removal. will it hold in place to that weight without turning when tightening? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #59

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd0020 View Post
Sorry, but have to bring this back to life...

Before I ask, just want to say great write up. Bout to pull the trigger on it, and wanted to do my research on installation. Couldn't get a price below 1050 for install lol. I will definitely be referring to this thread when the time comes.

Anyway, How do you torque the crank bolt to 204lbs to INSTALL without turning the crank? I know you used the pulley tool, but i think I may be using the starter technique for removal. will it hold in place to that weight without turning when tightening? Thanks!
Way late reply...

I put the truck in 6th to lock up the drivetrain and put my torque wrench on it. 204ft.lbs isn't too hard to get to as long as you have a decent size torque wrench. Most 1/2" drive torque wrenches are long enough for this.

Another guy on the crank pulley bolt removal thread was asking something similar because the drivetrain in an automatic doesn't lock up mechanically like a manual does. I don't have much experience with autos so I don't know if you'll be able to tighten the crank pulley bolt without the crank turning on you.