1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Error Code 171

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by S-Runner '01, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Jul 10, 2010 at 2:30 AM
    S-Runner '01

S-Runner '01 [OP] Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Yakima "the Palm Springs of Central Washington"
    Vehicle:
    BSP '01 S-Runner
    Garmin 260W - GPS Scanguage II K&N FIPK Kit Delta Low Profile Toolbox Fumoto Oil Drain Valve New Toyota Front Mats B&M Short Throw shifter New Tokico Gas Shocks Compustar Anti Theft Alarm System Redline Elite Hood Struts Phase Linear DVD/MP3/CD Player Professionally Detailed
    My Check Engine Light came on while traveling on the freeway while climbing a hill. My Scanguage II tells me that the stored error code is "PO171 System too Lean (Bank 1)"
    Why would my system be too lean? What can I do to richen it up to where it's supposed to be?
    Jerry

2. Jul 10, 2010 at 3:39 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    :popcorn:

Get it checked out. Could be several things. Do you understand how to read scan data under regular driving conditions?

If not, you could end up guessing and spending money without a fix.

3. Jul 10, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    S-Runner '01

S-Runner '01 [OP] Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Yakima "the Palm Springs of Central Washington"
    Vehicle:
    BSP '01 S-Runner
    Garmin 260W - GPS Scanguage II K&N FIPK Kit Delta Low Profile Toolbox Fumoto Oil Drain Valve New Toyota Front Mats B&M Short Throw shifter New Tokico Gas Shocks Compustar Anti Theft Alarm System Redline Elite Hood Struts Phase Linear DVD/MP3/CD Player Professionally Detailed
    You say "Get it checked out." Kinda makes you sound like a Toyota dealer wanting me to "Get it checked out."
    I'm trying to check it out by posting here. Do you have an answer to my question?
    Jerry

4. Jul 10, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    How many miles on your truck? I would try cleaning your MAF sensor, might just be dirty.

5. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    I did answer your question. Anything you are told on here, for that code, will be a guess. A P0171 code is set when the vehicle has reached adaptive limits for fuel control. It has added fuel to the base table until it is outside an accepted range. There can be several reasons for this. It would depend on what the fuel trims are under different driving conditions. Where the trims are out of range is the first clue to the root cause and can only be seen on a test drive with the correct equipment. Then some tests to verify the root cause and then the repair. If you toss a part at it that is a couple hundred dollars and it does not fix it, "checking it out" would be the cheaper route.

I am not a Toyota dealer or a Toyota tech. I am a CMATL1 certified technician and an automotive diagnostics instructor.

Sorry my answer did not fit your expectations. Guess away. Could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter, a tank of gas with a high ethanol content or as expensive as an AFR sensor or failed MAF. Pick a starting place and spend away. You said it was under high load (climbing a hill on the highway) so start with the items that would be important under those conditions.

6. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Clean your MAF sensor, then reset the error by pulling the NEG cable for a few minutes. See if it pops back up. Also, check for loose vac lines.

7. Jul 17, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    kevhogaz

kevhogaz Low Speed, High Drag

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    3" lift front & rear, Air Raid Intake System
    ShadowFalken is exactly right. P0171 is a system too lean code, or in laymans terms, their is too much fuel returning to the gas tank. I am a Toyota tech, and it's more than likely a Mass Air Flow Sensor malfunction. However, there are other things too check, such as vacuum leaks, before you go throwing money at your truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top