Notices

Error Code 171

Old 07-10-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member
S-Runner '01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
S-Runner '01's Tacoma Gallery
Error Code 171

My Check Engine Light came on while traveling on the freeway while climbing a hill. My Scanguage II tells me that the stored error code is "PO171 System too Lean (Bank 1)"
Why would my system be too lean? What can I do to richen it up to where it's supposed to be?
Jerry
Old 07-10-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
ShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
ShadowFalken's Tacoma Gallery

Get it checked out. Could be several things. Do you understand how to read scan data under regular driving conditions?

If not, you could end up guessing and spending money without a fix.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member
S-Runner '01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
S-Runner '01's Tacoma Gallery
Error Code 171

You say "Get it checked out." Kinda makes you sound like a Toyota dealer wanting me to "Get it checked out."
I'm trying to check it out by posting here. Do you have an answer to my question?
Jerry
Old 07-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles on your truck? I would try cleaning your MAF sensor, might just be dirty.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
ShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
ShadowFalken's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Runner '01 View Post
You say "Get it checked out." Kinda makes you sound like a Toyota dealer wanting me to "Get it checked out."
I'm trying to check it out by posting here. Do you have an answer to my question?
Jerry
I did answer your question. Anything you are told on here, for that code, will be a guess. A P0171 code is set when the vehicle has reached adaptive limits for fuel control. It has added fuel to the base table until it is outside an accepted range. There can be several reasons for this. It would depend on what the fuel trims are under different driving conditions. Where the trims are out of range is the first clue to the root cause and can only be seen on a test drive with the correct equipment. Then some tests to verify the root cause and then the repair. If you toss a part at it that is a couple hundred dollars and it does not fix it, "checking it out" would be the cheaper route.

I am not a Toyota dealer or a Toyota tech. I am a CMATL1 certified technician and an automotive diagnostics instructor.

Sorry my answer did not fit your expectations. Guess away. Could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter, a tank of gas with a high ethanol content or as expensive as an AFR sensor or failed MAF. Pick a starting place and spend away. You said it was under high load (climbing a hill on the highway) so start with the items that would be important under those conditions.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Clean your MAF sensor, then reset the error by pulling the NEG cable for a few minutes. See if it pops back up. Also, check for loose vac lines.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...3/cip0171p.pdf
Old 07-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevhogaz's Tacoma Gallery
ShadowFalken is exactly right. P0171 is a system too lean code, or in laymans terms, their is too much fuel returning to the gas tank. I am a Toyota tech, and it's more than likely a Mass Air Flow Sensor malfunction. However, there are other things too check, such as vacuum leaks, before you go throwing money at your truck.