Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Question: Installing LSD in Open Diff

Old 07-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Question: Installing LSD in Open Diff

OK, so...

I have a 2008 SR5 non-TRD w/ open diff

I also have in my possession a TRD Sport LSD

heres what I think I know:
1. drain rear diff
2. jack up rear of truck
3. remove wheels
4. remove 4 bolts holding each axle in housing
5. remove brake line retaining bolt (not disconnecting lines from drums)
6. pull axles out a few inches (did you support the axle or hub to keep it off the axle seal?)
7. disconnect driveshaft from third
8. unbolt third and remove
9. put in new and reassemble

I plan on keeping stock gears

what all is involve.. I've never been inside a diff before so I have no idea what to do... I'm sure once its open I could figure it out though.

I'm trying to gauge the difficulty of this install vs just paying a shop to do it
Old 07-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
From what i have read i think there is a rebuild kit for the axles new seals or something. I am not sure though. Subscribed to see who else chimes in.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
That would be the easiest way to do it. You may just want to pull the axle completely out to clean the oil off so you have a fresh start with the LSD additive.

Are you replacing the entire third or just the internals?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Find the manual on how to set it up correctly. All the non-toyota diffs I have messed with need pinion depth set properly if the carrier/ring gear, or pinion gear are replaced. Shims, prussian blue, and test fitting req'd.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Find the manual on how to set it up correctly. All the non-toyota diffs I have messed with need pinion depth set properly if the carrier/ring gear, or pinion gear are replaced. Shims, prussian blue, and test fitting req'd. Some use a pumpkin spreader to remove the carrier.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...6ta/037004.pdf
Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
You may want to check out this thread
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/56683-swapping-rear-3rd-member-difficulty.html

I plan on doing the same, but my LSD is already assembled in another third so I'll just be doing a swap.

BTW, I plan on having some gear oil, friction modifier, brake fluid, form-in-place gasket, a couple spare studs for the axle housing, spare axle seals and O-rings on hand.

If you plan on installing the LSD into your third member yourself, you might want to check out http://www.gearinstalls.com for pictures of lots of toyota differential rebuilds.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #8

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
You may want to check out this thread
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/56683-swapping-rear-3rd-member-difficulty.html

I plan on doing the same, but my LSD is already assembled in another third so I'll just be doing a swap.

BTW, I plan on having some gear oil, friction modifier, brake fluid, form-in-place gasket, a couple spare studs for the axle housing, spare axle seals and O-rings on hand.
Damn good plan. Sounds like all of the "just-in-case" bases are covered.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I was going for.

It would really suck to have it apart on the weekend when I can't get any parts that I may have forgotten from the dealer. I'm trying not to do it the hard way as my GF always says I do.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
swims with fishes
hansonian is on a distinguished road

hansonian's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking into doing this to my truck since I have a open diff too. Where did you get your LSD from? I'm hoping I don't have to goto the dealer to get the part cause I don't feel like getting raped by em.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #11

Marines:
Just google the brand you want and find the cheapest one.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Just google the brand you want and find the cheapest one.
IMO not a good policy.

Better policy - look at what you really want and how you are going to use it.

If you are using on the road - you will be fine with an LSD.

If you are going to use it off road - a selectable is MUCH BETTER.

Then get the best within reason. If you can afford an ARB get it. If you need to swap out a used e-locker, get it. If you are going to get an LSD - ask around and don't listen to the guy that says that everything he has is the best. Better yet - Ask Chris!

As a very wealthy friend of mine always says "I am not wealthy enough to buy something twice."
Old 07-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #13

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
IMO not a good policy.

Better policy - look at what you really want and how you are going to use it.

If you are using on the road - you will be fine with an LSD.

If you are going to use it off road - a selectable is MUCH BETTER.

Then get the best within reason. If you can afford an ARB get it. If you need to swap out a used e-locker, get it. If you are going to get an LSD - ask around and don't listen to the guy that says that everything he has is the best. Better yet - Ask Chris!

As a very wealthy friend of mine always says "I am not wealthy enough to buy something twice."
Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #14
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
OK, so...

I have a 2008 SR5 non-TRD w/ open diff

I also have in my possession a TRD Sport LSD

heres what I think I know:
1. drain rear diff
2. jack up rear of truck
3. remove wheels
4. remove 4 bolts holding each axle in housing
5. remove brake line retaining bolt (not disconnecting lines from drums)
6. pull axles out a few inches (did you support the axle or hub to keep it off the axle seal?)
7. disconnect driveshaft from third
8. unbolt third and remove
9. put in new and reassemble

I plan on keeping stock gears

what all is involve.. I've never been inside a diff before so I have no idea what to do... I'm sure once its open I could figure it out though.

I'm trying to gauge the difficulty of this install vs just paying a shop to do it
Boy it is soooo too early for me. Use 'Right Stuff' for new gasket. Will the LSD fit into your housing?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of
Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Find the manual on how to set it up correctly. All the non-toyota diffs I have messed with need pinion depth set properly if the carrier/ring gear, or pinion gear are replaced. Shims, prussian blue, and test fitting req'd.
X2
Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #16
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Find the manual on how to set it up correctly. All the non-toyota diffs I have messed with need pinion depth set properly if the carrier/ring gear, or pinion gear are replaced. Shims, prussian blue, and test fitting req'd. Some use a pumpkin spreader to remove the carrier.
Send it to ECGS!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Send it to ECGS!
how much do they charge to install a LSD in a 3rd? i just picked up an extra third and a truetrac and im looking to have it overhauled w/ new bearings and such and LSD installed...thanks for the help!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #18
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
how much do they charge to install a LSD in a 3rd? i just picked up an extra third and a truetrac and im looking to have it overhauled w/ new bearings and such and LSD installed...thanks for the help!
Look on their website http://www.eastcoastgearsupply.com

Whatever they are charging the 5 year warranty is priceless!