1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you do to your truck ?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Lanceuppercut06, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Jun 14, 2008 at 4:42 PM
    Lanceuppercut06

Lanceuppercut06 [OP] Member

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner,TRDOff-Road Impulse Red
    K&N Filter
    Hey guys. what do you do to your car maintence wise , weather its required daily, weekly. It can be from tires to motor gaskets. Put down what you do to your taco, Give your input !

Well since i started this thread I'll go first::D

1. Check and refill tires every two days.
    2. Check air filter every week.
    3. Check oil for metal deposits or foreign material every two weeks.
    4. Check battery for corrosion and check the terminals every other week.
    5. When I check the oil I also check the tranny oil.
    6. I check the radiator and if necessary add more fluids every month.
    7. I check the fuses for any abnormalities.

Well thats all that I can come up with .[​IMG]

2. Jun 14, 2008 at 9:47 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    You must be kidding. Thats why I take it to the dealer. ;)

3. Jun 14, 2008 at 9:52 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i crank it once a week...seriously

i eyeball the tires whenever im going more than 10 miles

if it sounds funny then i address the problem however im not a preventive maint. type of guy

i fix when it stops working

4. Jun 15, 2008 at 2:07 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    +1! I'm not that anal retentive. Damn thing monitors tire pressure for me, so why bother? Light comes on before eyeballing it can tell a difference, and I don't have time to check it each day. Not only that, but I get 30+ degree temp swings in NY so what's the point? lol The pressure might drop over night, and be back up by noon.

There's no way in hell I'm checking the oil every 2 weeks. :eek: Only real way I know to check for metal particles is pulling the drain plug. So that's essentially changing the oil twice a month. I hated when I drove enough to do it ONCE a month let alone any more often! :laugh:

Raditor's a sealed system. Unless the temp gauge shoots up, runs high, or steam comes out from under the hood I never check it. Ok, maybe I check the over flow while I'm adding washer fluid sometimes. But that's it. My 10 yr old car has had zero radiator problems so what's the point? :D Maybe if I hit something I'd check it afterwards, but on a new truck? It's not going to rust or rot in 1-3 yrs.

Fuses are checked when something doesn't work. They either work or don't. Only thing "abnormal" I've seen is blown ones, but I consider that "normal" for a fuse needing to be replaced after I did something. If I'm not mucking about with the electrics, then nothing should blow. How often do fuses actually blow under normal circumstances? I've never had one go without me shorting a couple wires, accidentally hitting one of the battery terminals with a wrench, or running something too big off the cig plug with the radio playing.

5. Jun 15, 2008 at 2:25 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I work on my own stuff, but I don't have time to do a lot of things. My truck is only 1 year old - so I'm not as worried about things going wrong as I would with my 94 jeep (per say).

When I do an oil change, that's when I check other items....air filter, coolant color & level (and overflow tank level), brief inspection of the engine compartment, belts etc. Everytime I approach & get in the truck...I'm always looking underneath for signs of leaks and tires being low on pressure, etc. When I do tire rotations, I inspect the brakes, etc.

My Jeep is older (and built) - and because I've had it for 5 years, I've already learned its history, it's personality, and know the abuse I give it. So in a sense, I've learned (over time) the things that need maintenance outside the normal realm of oil changes & tire rotations.

You just gotta do the work yourself, get under the truck once in a while and inspect things. Know what things look like so if something changes, you can notice it immediately upon inspections.

6. Jun 15, 2008 at 5:54 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I look my truck over when I get in from a job before I drive off and before I leave to go on a job. When I'm home for a while I'll just do the normal services when required. I am a very picky person so I notice a little more than normal.

7. Jun 15, 2008 at 12:30 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I generally just drive it. If I hear a noise or something doesn't feel right, I take care of that when it happens. Luckily, the only problem I have had with my truck is I want to spend more on it than I make :)

Products Discussed in

To Top