Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

What do you do to your truck ?

Old 06-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Lanceuppercut06 is on a distinguished road

Lanceuppercut06's Tacoma Gallery
What do you do to your truck ?

Hey guys. what do you do to your car maintence wise , weather its required daily, weekly. It can be from tires to motor gaskets. Put down what you do to your taco, Give your input !

Well since i started this thread I'll go first:

1. Check and refill tires every two days.
2. Check air filter every week.
3. Check oil for metal deposits or foreign material every two weeks.
4. Check battery for corrosion and check the terminals every other week.
5. When I check the oil I also check the tranny oil.
6. I check the radiator and if necessary add more fluids every month.
7. I check the fuses for any abnormalities.

Well thats all that I can come up with .
Old 06-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
You must be kidding. Thats why I take it to the dealer.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i crank it once a week...seriously

i eyeball the tires whenever im going more than 10 miles

if it sounds funny then i address the problem however im not a preventive maint. type of guy

i fix when it stops working
Old 06-15-2008, 02:07 AM   #4
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
You must be kidding. Thats why I take it to the dealer.
+1! I'm not that anal retentive. Damn thing monitors tire pressure for me, so why bother? Light comes on before eyeballing it can tell a difference, and I don't have time to check it each day. Not only that, but I get 30+ degree temp swings in NY so what's the point? lol The pressure might drop over night, and be back up by noon.

There's no way in hell I'm checking the oil every 2 weeks. Only real way I know to check for metal particles is pulling the drain plug. So that's essentially changing the oil twice a month. I hated when I drove enough to do it ONCE a month let alone any more often!

Raditor's a sealed system. Unless the temp gauge shoots up, runs high, or steam comes out from under the hood I never check it. Ok, maybe I check the over flow while I'm adding washer fluid sometimes. But that's it. My 10 yr old car has had zero radiator problems so what's the point? Maybe if I hit something I'd check it afterwards, but on a new truck? It's not going to rust or rot in 1-3 yrs.

Fuses are checked when something doesn't work. They either work or don't. Only thing "abnormal" I've seen is blown ones, but I consider that "normal" for a fuse needing to be replaced after I did something. If I'm not mucking about with the electrics, then nothing should blow. How often do fuses actually blow under normal circumstances? I've never had one go without me shorting a couple wires, accidentally hitting one of the battery terminals with a wrench, or running something too big off the cig plug with the radio playing.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I work on my own stuff, but I don't have time to do a lot of things. My truck is only 1 year old - so I'm not as worried about things going wrong as I would with my 94 jeep (per say).

When I do an oil change, that's when I check other items....air filter, coolant color & level (and overflow tank level), brief inspection of the engine compartment, belts etc. Everytime I approach & get in the truck...I'm always looking underneath for signs of leaks and tires being low on pressure, etc. When I do tire rotations, I inspect the brakes, etc.

My Jeep is older (and built) - and because I've had it for 5 years, I've already learned its history, it's personality, and know the abuse I give it. So in a sense, I've learned (over time) the things that need maintenance outside the normal realm of oil changes & tire rotations.

You just gotta do the work yourself, get under the truck once in a while and inspect things. Know what things look like so if something changes, you can notice it immediately upon inspections.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I generally just drive it. If I hear a noise or something doesn't feel right, I take care of that when it happens. Luckily, the only problem I have had with my truck is I want to spend more on it than I make