1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OBD code P0304 Question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by FloridaTacoma, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Jul 11, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    FloridaTacoma

FloridaTacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Merritt Island, Florida
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    My 2003 Tacoma 4 cylinder 5 speed SR5 has developed a "misfire" in cylinder #4 (code P0304) that comes and goes. The strange thing is that the mis starts after a hot restart and usually clears up after driving it for a while. I changed the plugs (which looked fairly good) but the problem continues. Has anyone seen a similar problem?

2. Jul 11, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

Most common cause is a bad coil, wire, or fuel injector. Make sure the wires are connected propperly. Test the #4 wires, and see if they are good. Then, you may want to swap injectors, and see if the issue moves to the new cyl.

3. Jul 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    IamTacO

IamTacO red balls got me!

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    QC az
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5 TRD-Offroad
    4x2 Prerunner. Hankook Dynapro ATM rf10 265-65-16, e-locker FTW! Morimoto d2s bi-xenon HID projectors, Philips 85122+ 4300K, Cobra 75 w/ 3' firefly, Kenwood KDC-MP342U w/ SIRIUS, Line-x bed liner, 4' coretrax(black)
  4. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    If you have scan data while the engine is missing.............

Look to see if it is in "closed loop fuel control". If so, look at the fuel trims during the misfire. If it is adding fuel less than 15% start with ignition check out. If it is adding fuel at about 20% look at an injector issue.

If the fuel trims are negative, it could be a leaking injector or fuel pressure regulator. A leaking fuel system component tends to show up more on a hot restart due to a fouled plug before the fuel has had a chance to evaporate while sitting for some time.

Just rules of thumb to go with the above good posts. Nothing beats methodical checkout.

5. Jul 13, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    FloridaTacoma

FloridaTacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Merritt Island, Florida
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    I want to thank those who responded to my question for their help and the welcome from Chris. I switched 2 coils and nothing changed so I ruled out a spark problem. Next I used a sound scope to listen to the injectors as the Toyota manual suggested. Number 4 sounded much quiter with a different frequency so I measured the injector resistance and found an open circuit. I ordered a new injector and gaskets/O rings and hope to complete the repair soon.

John

Products Discussed in

To Top