Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Loud pop while backing...plus front diff is leaking again

Old 07-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Loud pop while backing...plus front diff is leaking again

My front diff is leaking... again.

A few months ago it was leaking from a seal near the drivers cv... when that leaked it dripped on the ground, now there oil on the front diff housing near the center of the diff... the whole drivers side of the diff is wet with oil.

Toyota replaced a seal last time could this be the same... problem again?

Also, when I back up at full lock there is popping sounds from the front of the truck... possibly the diff... are these two related?

the popping has been going on on for atleast a week, but today it was significantly louder... but only at full lock while backing. I looked under the truck for where things might be catching but could not see any.

Also, is there anyway that my RCD lift could have damaged the front diff?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i hear a popping sound when backing up and i think its just the floating brake pads..the other stuff im not sure about but good luck with them warrantying anything with the front diff and such after your lift

now that i think about it does the rcd lift use new spindles at all? i also have a popping sound due to my lower control arm to spindle bolts being a little loose
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
well they did the front diff last time while it was lifted so who knows... yes the RCD does use new spindles

the popping was significant before but today it was loud (twice)
Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4rar View Post
Well you deffinately blew a seal somewhere. But the popping might be something to be concerned about. I recently had a clicking noise from my rear end under similar conditinos (forward and under load) and my ring gear had taken a shit on me. Might want to drain the front diff and have a looksy for metal in the oil would be big chunks if this was the case. Other potential popping noises are the CV joints joints start clicking when they are about to fail and the forward u-joint (while I've never seen a forward IFS u-joint fail it is possible). These are your most likely culprets. If none of that works then start looking at the suspension and re torqueing everything/checking for excessive wear on bushings and endlinks.
yeah the oil on the diff is definitely a blown seal... I'm just wondering if the popping is related... it only happens in reverse while turning... it is definitely up front too...
Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
bigsur is on a distinguished road
Name: Stephen
bigsur's Tacoma Gallery
Victory Toyota doing the work? Have you had good experiences with them?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
^probably...I've gone to them twice with no problems... hope it works out again
Old 07-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4rar View Post
It could be I had a similar leak that went unnoticed for quite some time and then my front end took a shit for lack of oil.
but why only in reverse while turning?... full lock?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
do you have steering stops with your lift kit? If you dont have steering stops, it could be your spindle or whatever hitting your control arms or whatever and bending metal, creating that popping sound. Pro Comp 6" lift kits dont have steering stops and have that problem.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
^hmmm.... I probably don't considering I have never heard of steering stops.... I could I tell if thats happening?

turn the wheels to full lock and look and see if the spindle is touching the control arms?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
hmm... I don't think that the front diff leaked out a significant amount of fluid... as there was only a small amount on the skid plate and nothing on the ground... last time it was leaking a significant amount was on the ground (about a tablespoons worth)...

there may be something to this steering stop thing... let me go look
Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
nope theres a steering stop, at full lock spindle doesn't touch control arms... but what I did notice is that the boots on the tie rods have been slice by the spindle... could the tie rods be the cause of this pop?

pics to follow

as for the diff leak... seems to be coming from same drivers side as last time that deal fixed underwarranty
Old 07-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
heres the boots...both are like this and definitely need to be replaced... I'll probably have to grind down that little lip on the spindle... it appears thats what cut them

and this is a pic of the front diff where I think its leaking from... I dunno what causing this pop, but I just ran the truck back and forth about a dozen times without a single pop.

I think its coming from here

and running down here

Old 07-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
bump for more tech help... should have posted in 2nd gen
Old 07-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
would grinding that little lip off be a problem?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #15
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
i think its leaking from the axle seal, get that r&red asap or you will burn up your front diff

idk bout the lip question
Old 07-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
i think its leaking from the axle seal, get that r&red asap or you will burn up your front diff

idk bout the lip question
this will be the second time getting this fixed...

the lip on the spindle thats rubbing the tie rod boots
Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
no offense but our axle seals suck.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #18
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
no offense but our axle seals suck.
yeah well... you're right considering this is the second one within 6 months
Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #19
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
also the tech may not have set it in right, ive heard using grey rtv on the outer lip can help though. theyll fix the axle seal under warrenty though. if your truck is still covered they can check the pop also
Old 07-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #20
benk0 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
benk0's Tacoma Gallery
As per my thread in which you posted... I am in the same boat....