Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

05+ Prerunner to 4x4 Conversion

Old 06-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
05+ Prerunner to 4x4 Conversion

We all know (or those of us who hang out on TTORA) know how easy it is to converte the pre 05 Tacos from PreRunner to 4x4.

How hard would it be to convert a Prerunner 05 to a 4x4? I should think the hardest part is all the electronic garbage. Assuming I could find a suitable donor car, what would I be getting myself into if I attempted said conversion?

Yes, I know it would be a pain in the ass, and I could easily trade in for a 4x4. I just dont want to.

Edit:

This conversion would not take place for quite some time. Maybe 2010 or 2011.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
We all know (or those of us who hang out on TTORA) know how easy it is to converte the pre 05 Tacos from PreRunner to 4x4.

How hard would it be to convert a Prerunner 05 to a 4x4? I should think the hardest part is all the electronic garbage. Assuming I could find a suitable donor car, what would I be getting myself into if I attempted said conversion?

Yes, I know it would be a pain in the ass, and I could easily trade in for a 4x4. I just dont want to.

Edit:

This conversion would not take place for quite some time. Maybe 2010 or 2011.
It really wouldnt be that hard. Instead of useing an electronic transfer case, just use a manual one. I havent looked into if one is made for the 05+'s, but it shouldnt be much different. I would try to keep everything divorced from the stock electronics in the truck if you can.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
A manual transfer case is almost something I prefer. But one of my goals of the (possible) conversion is to remain as stock looking as possible.

If only Toyota had done it correctly the first time and gave us a manual transfer case...
Old 06-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
If only Toyota had done it correctly the first time and gave us a manual transfer case...
x2!!!!
Thats why I like my Dodge (sorry) for the big off road stuff. Solid dana 60 axel, manual transfer case, 6 speed, and a Cummins. I know its too big for most trails, but I have a stratagy for that. It called "Force fit".
Old 06-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
have a dodge ram? If u do make ur taco a 4x4 u run the risk of causing problems then ur taco will never be the same
Old 06-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
If u do make ur taco a 4x4 u run the risk of causing problems then ur taco will never be the same
Could you elaborate? I know of a few people that have converted their Prerunner to 4x4 with no ill effects.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
well you could mess up the electrical system if u use the electronic switch and you could run the rish of messing up you whole transmission or ruin the axle that your gonna install, i want to make my prerunner a 4x4 but its out of the question.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
well you could mess up the electrical system if u use the electronic switch and you could run the rish of messing up you whole transmission or ruin the axle that your gonna install, i want to make my prerunner a 4x4 but its out of the question.

those are risks you take anytime you mod any part of your truck

if you get the proper parts/tools and have a half assed idea of what youre doing it'll turn out fine
Old 01-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
You will get a lot of:

"it is not worth it, trade in and get a 4x4" and blablabla... So just for it.

In any case. Here is some things to put into your head.

You will need the 4x4 transmission. The one from the prerunner will not fit with the transfer case from either the 4x4 Taco or the Manual from the FJ, which is what I personally want.

If you do stay with your stock transmission, you can try and get a Transfer Divorcer, but last time I looked, there is only one company making one that fits and it is very expensive.

All the electronics should be plug and play, but you need to get a new 4x4 computer and some other random electronics.

I am not %100 on how the computer will react to it getting turned on manually vs with the button, but it is supposed to react as if it was factory if you have the correct wiring.

This is apart from all the obvious front drivetrain changes.

Anyhow, there are other threads here with more info and a part list, as well as threads on TTORA.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Liquid I View Post
All the electronics should be plug and play, but you need to get a new 4x4 computer and some other random electronics.

I am not %100 on how the computer will react to it getting turned on manually vs with the button, but it is supposed to react as if it was factory if you have the correct wiring.
I wonder if you could use the computer electronics from an FJ to avoid this potential problem...most of the stuff from and FJ and Taco can be married if i'm not mistaken...
Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
I plan to use all parts off a stock truck just like mine but 4x4, minus the transfer case. Then buy an fj transfer case. That way I don't have to deal with electronics. As for parts, the only thing I might need to find is the transfer case but I may have that covered too.

Has this been done? Either switch or manual? If so is there a thread somewhere?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
I plan to use all parts off a stock truck just like mine but 4x4, minus the transfer case. Then buy an fj transfer case. That way I don't have to deal with electronics. As for parts, the only thing I might need to find is the transfer case but I may have that covered too.

Has this been done? Either switch or manual? If so is there a thread somewhere?
Someone did it in TTORA. But, they went double stick, so the "how to" will not help past a certain point.

Also, not long ago, a member here changed his Electronic case for a manual one, but I think he also went double stick later on.

You might want to look into what Colts suggested as well. Perhaps using the FJ 4x4 module would be much better than trying to do it with the Taco one.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #16

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I still want to do this. I still don't have the money. And I still will not sell my truck for a 4x4. After almost 70K together, as well as living in it for a few months, I'm quite fond of it.

I'd much prefer using the manual t case of the FJ. I don't care for the push button or whatever the hell toyota calls it 4x4 system. Give me a lever.

No way I'll be able to do this anytime soon. Another downside to having a small apartment...
Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #17

It seems you are in the same boat as me. I also plan to do it, and do not need twin sticks or a crawler box.

I do not currently have the time though, which is what has prevented me from attacking this.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
Man I wish i had the funds, time, and know-how on this. Ballpark estimate on the cost?