Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

quart low each oil change

Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
quart low each oil change

I have noticed that my 07 Tacoma is about a quart low each time i change it. The last oil change i did go over on mileage, 6000 and not the recommended 5000. I have 32,000 miles on the truck so far. I am hoping that its just the oil breaking down and slipping by. I have not noticed any leaks or smoke problems. I dropped it off at the shop this morning. My warranty runs out in a few days. Any thoughts on this?????
Old 07-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #3

Not positive. I brought it to walmart the last time. That could be the problem......
Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Are you noticing this when you check the dip stick, or by measuring how much comes out of the pan?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i would rather blow my engine up as take it to walmart
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Are you noticing this when you check the dip stick, or by measuring how much comes out of the pan?
dipstick
Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
dipstick
Keep in mind, the oil filter holds a bit of oil. ALso, 1 quart of oil being consumed by the engine is within specs, and considered "normal". I doubt, however, your engine is consuming that.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Something is wrong with your truck or your analysis because a quart loss in 5-6k miles in a low mileage vehicle is bad.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Something is wrong with your truck or your analysis because a quart loss in 5-6k miles in a low mileage vehicle is bad.
According to Toyota, as well as most manufactures, 1 quart in 5000 miles is acceptable, and considered "normal".
Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #10

FWIW, Mazda considers 1 quart in 2000 miles "normal".
Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Keep in mind, the oil filter holds a bit of oil. ALso, 1 quart of oil being consumed by the engine is within specs, and considered "normal". I doubt, however, your engine is consuming that.
+1. The owners manual even states that some oil burn off is normal, but last year I drove the piss out of my truck for 4800 miles in a short period and didn't burn any oil. My daughter's former car, a 1994 Corolla, burned about 1/2 a quart in 3000 miles.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of
Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same -- look at the upside. You are refreshing the oil with new oil and more additives.

But seriously. I had a Nissan patrol that burned over one liter/5000km and I got over 350k kms. Those were hard m
Kms too.

Every BMW bike I have ever owned burned oil of about 1 liter per 5000km and got over 100k on one of them. The compression on all were at the high end of the spec's -- in other words very good. BMW specifies 1 liter/1000miles but that is on a flat twin.

The funny thing is my truck will not burn oil till it hits about 3k miles and then it will go through 1/2 liter

Doesn't make since or maybe at that point the oil is gotten thin enough to get past the rings when using the engine to slow down going down hills
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #13

there is a few hills on my way home that i tend to shift down a a gear or two. I thought i am helping my brakes out. never thought that i could be doing damage or making the oil slip by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peru View Post
Mine does the same -- look at the upside. You are refreshing the oil with new oil and more additives.

But seriously. I had a Nissan patrol that burned over one liter/5000km and I got over 350k kms. Those were hard m
Kms too.

Every BMW bike I have ever owned burned oil of about 1 liter per 5000km and got over 100k on one of them. The compression on all were at the high end of the spec's -- in other words very good. BMW specifies 1 liter/1000miles but that is on a flat twin.

The funny thing is my truck will not burn oil till it hits about 3k miles and then it will go through 1/2 liter

Doesn't make since or maybe at that point the oil is gotten thin enough to get past the rings when using the engine to slow down going down hills
Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2000 jetta that burned a quart every thousand miles.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not positive. I brought it to walmart the last time. That could be the problem......
Since you're not doing the oil changes.... I would recommend:

Check the dipstick immediately after you have the oil changed. Make sure the truck has been sitting not-running (on level ground) for atleast 2 hours before checking the dipstick.

Then - just prior to having the oil changed, check the level again (same as above).

Checking after & then before...will give you an indication if you've lost any oil. If you are not checking the dipstick to VERIFY the garage's work (or in this case, Walmart)...then you truely don't know where you've started. Do you know they're putting in the exact (right) amount of oil every time?

Time to start doing your own oil changes!! They're easy....and you can help elminate all the headaches because you'll know exactly how much you put in and where the dipstick level is (for the most part, the dipstick still suck in these trucks).
Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #16
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of
Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
there is a few hills on my way home that i tend to shift down a a gear or two. I thought i am helping my brakes out. never thought that i could be doing damage or making the oil slip by.
its purely speculation on my part based on anecdotal evidence but a neg pressure builds in the cylinder and it draws a very small amount past the rings.

Its perfectly normal with some vehicles and not a need to worry. You will still get same amount of miles out of the engine
Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #17

The dealer just called and said that everything looked good. But they want to see it again in a 1000 miles just to be sure.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Good news.

Like Janster said, change your own oil. It's not difficult - even easier with a fumoto valve. Then you KNOW you have the right amount of the RIGHT oil.

and yes, these dipsticks do suck!!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #19
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
I changed my oil today at 95k miles on my Taco. I use the recommended 5k miles interval. I checked it before I drained it and it was full to the mark.
The manufacturers say one quart in 5k miles is acceptable to cover their ass for poor quality control.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #20
Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I changed my oil today at 95k miles on my Taco. I use the recommended 5k miles interval. I checked it before I drained it and it was full to the mark.
The manufacturers say one quart in 5k miles is acceptable to cover their ass for poor quality control.
So you get 300k miles as opposed to 330k miles. Why worry the frame will turn to a pile of rust before then.

Why worry -- any rate just so you know there is a guy on advrider.com who has a bike with over 300k that burned oil from the getgo and still has excellent compression. Well within spec. Think of it this way, oil will remain where it is most needed during start up. The only down side is that if you go 300k (hardly anyone keeps their truck that long) you will spend more on oil. If you use synthetic that could add up. I am to lazy to calculate but its probably a good amount.