Notices

leaky axle?

Old 03-22-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK is on a distinguished road
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BrianPK
leaky axle?

my truck started leaking oil a few days ago... i thought it was engine oil at first, but upon removing the skid plate, i realized the oil must be comming out of the front axle.

anyone have any idea? a friend of mine said the axle should have grease, not oil... but what's comming out of it is oil-like
Old 03-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
by any chance you went mudding and landed on a deep ditch or hit a large rock? you might have a tiny crack, and should have that looked at, and soon before it gets anyworse.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Morpheus
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianPK View Post
my truck started leaking oil a few days ago... i thought it was engine oil at first, but upon removing the skid plate, i realized the oil must be comming out of the front axle. anyone have any idea? a friend of mine said the axle should have grease, not oil... but what's comming out of it is oil-like
I have no idea how old your truck is, however here's my take on it.

Is your axle original or rebuilt and does it have any grease nipples or nipple adapters? Assuming it is NOT oil filled and is grease packed as per your friend and if it was rebuilt or greased during service, I would suspect that a wrong type of grease may have been added.

Wrong type/cheap grease does experience premature thermal break down and turns into oil. Thatís my suspicion. If it is grease packed, pump sufficient Toyota recommended grease into your axle till all the old grease is flushed out. You'll know by the colour change when to stop. Be generous. Then check if problem still exists. I'd love to know what you find.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is an 01.

i just bought it, and the dealer said it's a new axle. i have no idea about the nipples. i'm new to this 4wd thing.

i'm going to take it to a mechanic friend of mine on monday. i'm sure he'll know what's up.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
i took it in, they said i have a torn seal at the differential.