1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

leaky axle?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BrianPK, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Mar 22, 2007 at 2:53 AM
    BrianPK

BrianPK [OP] Offroad Enthusiast

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    CB Radio, 3'' fabtec spacer lift and 3'' body lift flowmaster dual exhaust, deckplate mod, silencer mod, Work in progress pioneer 7900bt stereo with 5X8 infinity speakers all around, and eclipse ex400 amp
    my truck started leaking oil a few days ago... i thought it was engine oil at first, but upon removing the skid plate, i realized the oil must be comming out of the front axle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anyone have any idea? a friend of mine said the axle should have grease, not oil... but what's comming out of it is oil-like

2. Mar 22, 2007 at 2:02 PM
    twoarezee

twoarezee Well-Known Member

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    rims,tires,3"/6" drop, 4x4 front end, 01 tails and corners, prerunner buckets,tenzo r steering wheel w/ momo hub, b&m shifterw/ jdm trd knob, alpine system, tint, 3 3/4" autometer tach, jardine cat back, k&n, debaged, hellwig rear sway bar, kyb monomax shocks, tundra v8 oil filter w/ mobil 1 in ever
    maybe its leaking out of the transfer case?

3. Mar 22, 2007 at 6:16 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    by any chance you went mudding and landed on a deep ditch or hit a large rock? you might have a tiny crack, and should have that looked at, and soon before it gets anyworse.

4. Mar 23, 2007 at 5:41 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I have no idea how old your truck is, however here's my take on it.

Is your axle original or rebuilt and does it have any grease nipples or nipple adapters? Assuming it is NOT oil filled and is grease packed as per your friend and if it was rebuilt or greased during service, I would suspect that a wrong type of grease may have been added.

Wrong type/cheap grease does experience premature thermal break down and turns into oil. That’s my suspicion. If it is grease packed, pump sufficient Toyota recommended grease into your axle till all the old grease is flushed out. You'll know by the colour change when to stop. Be generous. Then check if problem still exists. I'd love to know what you find.

5. Mar 24, 2007 at 1:37 AM
    BrianPK

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    CB Radio, 3'' fabtec spacer lift and 3'' body lift flowmaster dual exhaust, deckplate mod, silencer mod, Work in progress pioneer 7900bt stereo with 5X8 infinity speakers all around, and eclipse ex400 amp
    My truck is an 01.

i just bought it, and the dealer said it's a new axle. i have no idea about the nipples. i'm new to this 4wd thing.

i'm going to take it to a mechanic friend of mine on monday. i'm sure he'll know what's up.

6. Mar 28, 2007 at 1:19 PM
    BrianPK

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    i took it in, they said i have a torn seal at the differential.

Products Discussed in

To Top