Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

I may already know the answer, but

Old 07-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up I may already know the answer, but

why cant I use my OBA tank as a sort of "temporary turbo"? Assuming the air in my tank is at 150 psi, and the average turbo runs what 10 psi maybe, why dont people just hook up a line to the intake and call it a day? Flip a switch when you want the compressed air bootleg turbo and get a nitrous-esque burst of power.
Is it a flow rate thing? probably not enough air volume to make a difference is what my brain is telling me.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
The air would run out in a few seconds and if but compresed air in the motor without adding more fuel it will be way to lean and burn up pistons. I just doesnt work.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
have fun putting 150psi into your engine...bye bye seals.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
have fun putting 150psi into your engine...bye bye seals.
i would use a regulator to dial down the psi equivalent to what a turbo would run. just crank it down to 10, 20 whatever would be correct. if there is such a thing as "correct" in this scenario.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Local Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwild View Post
The air would run out in a few seconds and if but compresed air in the motor without adding more fuel it will be way to lean and burn up pistons. I just doesnt work.
thats pretty much what i was thinking. the air would be gone in a matter of seconds. but, if thats all you needed, then it might work. maybe just use it for passing, or drag racing Raptors?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
No way would your OBA produce enough flow. It has the Psi but it has to produce a large amount of air flow at that pressure. You would need a very large valve with a very high flow regulator. Even with that it would last less than a second at the volumes of air it takes to produce the smallest amount of positive pressure in the intake.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunnerSeth View Post
No way would your OBA produce enough flow. It has the Psi but it has to produce a large amount of air flow at that pressure. You would need a very large valve with a very high flow regulator. Even with that it would last less than a second at the volumes of air it takes to produce the smallest amount of positive pressure in the intake.
Bingo! CFM is the issue.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
a typical on board air system compressor pumps at about 2-3 cfm. and takes about 1-2 minutes to fill a 2gallon OBA tank. the V6 requires about 400CFM to run. To get any performance youd have to push 500CFM at 6-8lbs. your 2 gallon tank would last about .3 seconds...literally...

plus the fact 1/2" hose can only carry about 10cfm at 8psi...