Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Honda question

Old 07-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
mustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of light
mustangwilly's Tacoma Gallery
Honda question

I'm sorry to ask a Honda question on this site but I'm sure someone on here can help me out. My wife drives a CRV and I just changed the tranny fluid. The manual says it holds 2.5 quarts so I bought 3 quarts and figured I would be fine. I put all 3 quarts in and it's still not up to the low mark when the fluid is hot. Should I keep adding fluid? Is their spec really 1 quart off? Any help would be apreciated.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Auto or manual? I'm assuming manual?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
Don't you check it while it running? Would that make a difference?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
mustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of light
It is a AUTO.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
its probably off a little. add a lil more....drive it then check it.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Maybe 2.5 quarts in the pan put the converter is full of fluid too.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTtoolman View Post
Don't you check it while it running? Would that make a difference?
I checked per the manual which says to turn off when checking.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
are you sticking the dipstick all the way in when checking it
Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob View Post
are you sticking the dipstick all the way in when checking it
Yes it's all the way in.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
go through the gears while foot is on brake.............Then check, I cant remember if hondas were checked OFF or while running tho...........I think they get checked while off.

EDIT............looks like u/I was right about them being off.
Correct. They should have 2 marks on the dip stick. One side is when running, one is when off. Check the manual.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
also what year is it
Old 07-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
Here is what the manual says

ATF Level Check
NOTE: Keep all foreign particles out of the transmission.
1. Park the vehicle on the level ground.
2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on), and turn the engine off. Do not allow the engine to warm up longer than the time it takes for the radiator fan to come on twice.
NOTE: Check the fluid level within
60-90 seconds after turning the engine off. Higher fluid level may be indicated if the radiator fan comes on twice or more.
3. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) (A) from the dipstick guide tube, and wipe it with a clean cloth.
4. Insert the dipstick into the guide tube aligning the notch (8) with the guide tab (C).
5. Remove the dipstick and check the fluid level. It should be between the upper mark (A) and lower mark (8).
c
6. If the level is below the lower mark, check for fluid leaks at the transmission, and hose and line joints. If a problem is found, fix it before filling the transmission.
NOTE: If the vehicle is driven when the ATF level is below the lower mark:
  • Transmission damage will result.
  • Vehicle does not move in any gear.
  • Vehicle accelerates poorly, and flares when starting off in the D and R positions.
  • The engine vibrates at idle.
  • l'
7. If the level is above the upper mark, drain the ATF to proper level (see step 3 on page 14-239).
NOTE: If the vehicle is driven when the ATF level is
above the upper mark, the vehicle may creep
forward while in the N position, or have a shifting
problem.
  1. If necessary, fill the transmission with ATF through the dipstick guide tube opening (A) to bring the fluid level midway between the upper mark and lower mark ofthe dipstick. Do not fill past the upper mark. Always use Honda ATF-Z1 Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Using a non-Honda ATF can affect shift quality.
  2. Insert the dipstick into the guide tube aligning the notch with the guide tab.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
nope...........U gotta remember, honda motors rotate backwards also so I guess its no surprise u check the auto trans OFF, and use motor oil for the manual trannys IIRC
The only engines that I know of that had a counter clockwise rotation, were old Volvo's......fwiw.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
Roll Tide

HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1426315

http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ma...ockwise-46572/

maybe I was wrong about the K series..............But in order to have a drag car a few yrs ago, honda had to get a race trans manufacturer to flip flop the gears in a typical race trans since the motor ran counter clockwise
the motor should be off when checking the fluid,so if the motor is off how is direction rotation going to affect the fluid level?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1426315

http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ma...ockwise-46572/

maybe I was wrong about the K series..............But in order to have a drag car a few yrs ago, honda had to get a race trans manufacturer to flip flop the gears in a typical race trans since the motor ran counter clockwise
Berry Iterwesting....
Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
Roll Tide

HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
well first thing we need to know is what year it is,this will make a big difference on how to check it.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
did you do just a drain and fill or a flush? I just did my wife's 06 civic. If it was just a drain and fill, then the 2.5 or so "should" be correct. A drain and fill on the civic took in 3 qts.

If you drained out all of it (flush), it should be way more than 3 qts..
Old 07-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #18
Tojo is on a distinguished road

Tojo's Tacoma Gallery
I've gotta 05 4wd crv and owners manual calls for 3.3 US qrts on change w/7.6 qrts total, converter/flush etc..
Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #19
It's a 2008 4wd. It calls for 2.6 quarts when doing a drain and fill which is what I did. I drained the fluid right after a 20 minute on a 90 degree say so it was HOT...would that let more fluid come out?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #20
Roll Tide

HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwilly View Post
It's a 2008 4wd. It calls for 2.6 quarts when doing a drain and fill which is what I did. I drained the fluid right after a 20 minute on a 90 degree say so it was HOT...would that let more fluid come out?
it should have taken 3 quarts on a drain and fill,but it must have been a little low.make sure you don't have any leaks.then add fluid till its up to the upper mark,when the engine is hot,and not running.