Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Think I have Axle Wrap...Need a Mechanic Recommendation

Old 06-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
amasih is on a distinguished road
amasih's Tacoma Gallery
Think I have Axle Wrap...Need a Mechanic Recommendation

I've had my 99 Pre-Runner for a couple months now, and the dreaded "Axle Wrap" is bugging me. On top of that, I do have a feeling that I need new shocks for the truck (looks like it might be the original bilsteins after 123K miles).

So I made the mistake of going to the local dealer to have them check out the frame for recall and also to advise me on the shock/leaf spring issue. I ended up walking out of there with a new timing belt/water pump and front brake rotors. I know, I should have just left, but they actually wanted to do a whole lot more stuff to it, and I know I did need new front brakes and, well, if the timing belt wasn't done...anyway, trying to convince myself I'm not as dumb as I thought.

Also, they didn't mark anything down about the frame inspection on the work order. I told him to do it, and he said it looked fine. I just hope they actually did do the inspection. Of course, this has been a SE truck away from the water since day one, so I'm prob OK.

So...I don't want to go back there to have someone comment on the leaf spring/shock issue again, and am looking for a mechanic in the Atlanta area that I can trust to look at this issue and tell me what's going on. I called one place yesterday and asked about "Axle Wrap" and explained to him what it was according to what I read here, and he said "Well, the Internet is good for a lot of things...car advice is not one of them. I don't know what you're talking about and I've never heard of leaf springs going out on a Tacoma".

And he's a "Toyota-only" mechanic. UGH!

So, any recommendations?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
He's a moron. If you really want to get rid of axle wrap, order a set of new leaf springs or a traction bar on line and get them installed somewhere other than a dealer.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
amasih is on a distinguished road
amasih's Tacoma Gallery
What should I get?

OK. I'm fine with doing that. Any recommendations on leaf springs to get and shocks? I don't do any off-roading, etc., so not looking to lift the truck up, but I do like the current ride height.

Then, if anyone still has any recommendations of a good shop in Atlanta, I'd appreciate it.