Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How did you replace your key?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
jeeper2269 is on a distinguished road
jeeper2269's Tacoma Gallery
How did you replace your key?

I didn't know if this thread should go in here instead of the general section for generation 2 Tacomas.

I lost my keys a few months back and ordered a new fob and key off of ebay. I took the key down to the local hardware store and they told me they could not cut it for me, because it had a chip in it.

Is this true?

How much did you have to pay to get your key made?

I have a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 sport access cab. If I didn't update my sig. thanks
Old 07-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
this is true, the key needs to be programmed at the dealership to your truck. not sure how much it costs, i had to get mine replaced under warranty.

edit: a little bit of googling found this http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question...7203930AAjH3im
Old 07-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
There is a handful of locksmiths that will have the proper equipment to reprogram your new key. Anyone worth their weight can cut the key, but programing it is a different story. That will require the correct equipment. Pick up your local phone book and start calling around to find the best deal on a local locksmith that will reprogram your key for you. Be sure to let them know the year/make/model of your truck so there is no doubt whether or not they will be able to program your new key for you.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
CCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really nice
Law Enforcement: RESERVE DEPUTY SHERIFF - RETIRED
Name: RON
CCCSOCOP's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought my Taco it only came with one key and fob. I purchased two more fobs and one key (quite expensive). I was able to program the fobs with no problems but could not get the key to program. I tried every possible combination from the internet but to no avail. Finally had to take it to a local Toyota Dealer, it cost me $150 just for the programming and a courtesy inspection.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
You have to have an original key to clone the key. If you lost both originals you have to install a whole new interlock system with two new keys. You need the metal tab with the key code that came with original keys to clone.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
tntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud of

Army: rangers all the way
tntacoma's Tacoma Gallery
This is the web site where I bought mine. total 35.00 with programing and cut at a local locksmith.

http://www.keyless-remotes.com/Categ...ta:2007:Tacoma
Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I think Ace hardware or True value now cuts chipped keys. $65.

And I believe it will be cheaper to go to a locksmith that does it over the dealer. I have only 1 key & a few years ago I checked with the dealer. $180 for a new key & the programming. Heck they want $80 just for a fob. I buy my fobs off ebay for around $20.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Auto-Thef...r-chip-key.htm

Mikey wrote at 2008-02-06 02:32:38
Hello everyone interested in getting your car keys at a better price. Some Ace Hardware stores can now make Chip keys for your car if it uses the I-P series system. These include GM, Ford and other type of automobiles. I know because I work at an Ace Hardware store and today the owner just had a factory rep train some of us on the new chip key clone system. It is about $50.00 to $70.00 dollars for a key. A lot cheaper than a Dealer and possibly a Locksmith. So Check it out.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
tommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud of
tommyxv's Tacoma Gallery
My 11 came with..

2 black keys w/ 2 fobs
1 grey key (no fob)

And the little metal plate with a number stamped into it. What is the gray key for? Does all three keys have chips in them?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
Tckwarrior is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Tckwarrior's Tacoma Gallery
Went to lowes and had a key made for 2 dollars, no chip, works fine on my 08 reg cab opening and starting it
Old 09-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
tommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud of
tommyxv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tckwarrior View Post
Went to lowes and had a key made for 2 dollars, no chip, works fine on my 08 reg cab opening and starting it
I think the chip is in the FOB....

From Toyota.com

Quote:
. Because the transponder chip is embedded in the key or Smart Key fob, it can be costly to replace.