Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Blinking TPMS

Old 07-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Silver06Taco is on a distinguished road
Silver06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Blinking TPMS

Anyone know what the continuous blinking TPMS light means? I've checked all tires, including the spare, and everything is at 35. I also hit the "set" button with no luck. That darn light has been blinking since Friday, July 9 shortly after we got on the road for a week vacation. I ended up putting some electrical tape over the location so as I didn't have to watch it while on the 6 hour drive.

Toyota wants over $100 just to look at it. If I take it to Autozone or Shuck's will their machine read out a code so I can know what is wrong?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
If it blinks 60-90 seconds at startup, then goes solid, your sensor is broken or there is some sort of malfunction with it. Did you recently have your tires serviced?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Something is wrong with one of your sensors...Dead battery, water intrusion, etc etc...so you are kinda stuck unless you wanna buy a whole new set and replace them all....
You dont have to buy a whole new set, they can be replaced individually. A tire shop broke two of mine last year and replaced the two, and reprogrammed all of them again.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Sensor #'s need to be changed with a scan tool on the ECU when replaced. 1hr labor.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
You dont have to buy a whole new set, they can be replaced individually. A tire shop broke two of mine last year and replaced the two, and reprogrammed all of them again.

But without getting the broken sensor diagnosed by the dealer...That's the only method I know of to fix it...Unless it's obviously snapped off (which won't make it blink).

Pretty much-I was trying to get at the fact that he needs to get it diagnosed at a tire place or the dealer.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
But without getting the broken sensor diagnosed by the dealer...That's the only method I know of to fix it...Unless it's obviously snapped off (which won't make it blink).

Pretty much-I was trying to get at the fact that he needs to get it diagnosed at a tire place or the dealer.
OIC.

OP: I would take it to a Tire Shop or the Dealership and have them diagnose the issue, then go from there. I know Americas Tire can order sensors individually and reprogram your system. Keep us posted.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Silver06Taco is on a distinguished road
Silver06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

I did just get new tires about a month ago along with a new sensor from America's Tire. Everything was reprogrammed by them, albeit with some complications (their programmer batteries were dead, so I had to go back a second time). So for the past 3 weeks there hadn't been any issues. Then the Friday when we left town (it was during a heat wave for us 95+ degrees) the light came on. I pulled over and made sure nothing was obviously wrong.

The next day when we were at my in-laws, I went to the local America's Tire and he did everything with their scan tool and no luck. He said that he was getting them all to read correctly (I was standing near the truck the whole time) but couldn't get the light to go out.