1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blinking TPMS

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Silver06Taco, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Jul 19, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    Silver06Taco

Silver06Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA state
    Vehicle:
    Silver 06 DC TRD Sport
    Anyone know what the continuous blinking TPMS light means? I've checked all tires, including the spare, and everything is at 35. I also hit the "set" button with no luck. That darn light has been blinking since Friday, July 9 shortly after we got on the road for a week vacation. I ended up putting some electrical tape over the location so as I didn't have to watch it while on the 6 hour drive.

Toyota wants over $100 just to look at it. If I take it to Autozone or Shuck's will their machine read out a code so I can know what is wrong?

2. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Something is wrong with one of your sensors...Dead battery, water intrusion, etc etc...so you are kinda stuck unless you wanna buy a whole new set and replace them all....

3. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    If it blinks 60-90 seconds at startup, then goes solid, your sensor is broken or there is some sort of malfunction with it. Did you recently have your tires serviced?

4. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    You dont have to buy a whole new set, they can be replaced individually. A tire shop broke two of mine last year and replaced the two, and reprogrammed all of them again.

5. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Sensor #'s need to be changed with a scan tool on the ECU when replaced. 1hr labor.

6. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

But without getting the broken sensor diagnosed by the dealer...That's the only method I know of to fix it...Unless it's obviously snapped off (which won't make it blink).

Pretty much-I was trying to get at the fact that he needs to get it diagnosed at a tire place or the dealer.

7. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    OIC.

OP: I would take it to a Tire Shop or the Dealership and have them diagnose the issue, then go from there. I know Americas Tire can order sensors individually and reprogram your system. Keep us posted.

8. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    Silver06Taco

Silver06Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA state
    Vehicle:
    Silver 06 DC TRD Sport
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

I did just get new tires about a month ago along with a new sensor from America's Tire. Everything was reprogrammed by them, albeit with some complications (their programmer batteries were dead, so I had to go back a second time). So for the past 3 weeks there hadn't been any issues. Then the Friday when we left town (it was during a heat wave for us 95+ degrees) the light came on. I pulled over and made sure nothing was obviously wrong.

The next day when we were at my in-laws, I went to the local America's Tire and he did everything with their scan tool and no luck. He said that he was getting them all to read correctly (I was standing near the truck the whole time) but couldn't get the light to go out.

Products Discussed in

To Top