1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cb tuning

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 2000SIG, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Jul 20, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    2000SIG

2000SIG [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a cb in my tacoma and it seems that I dont have any range.Just wondering if some one know how to tune this .

thanks

Marc

2. Jul 20, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Beg, borrow, or buy an SWR meter (Standing Wave Ratio). Closest to 1 wins. There's usually a legnth adjustment on the antenna to change it.

3. Jul 20, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    x2....if it's new, you probably need to tune it. In my opinion they are expensive for a one time use, so try to borrow one or get one used.

4. Jul 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    gobias

gobias as in Gobias some coffee

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Dbl TRD
    I bought one from right channel radios. Cost only $25 or so. If you swing by your local truck stop/cb store they'll charge you about the same to tune your cb anyways. Plus, whenever you decide to upgrade your radio or install one in another car you'll have the meter already. Pretty easy. Should only take a few minutes and some patience.

5. Jul 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
    Where is the antenna mounted? Do you have a good ground plane. Where it's mounted vs ground plane will tell you in which direction you will get your best input/put. Sone SWR meters will also be able to measure siginal strength at various positions around your vehicle.

6. Jul 21, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
    If you have a truck stop nearby, there's usually a CB shop there that can check your SWR for a nominal fee. Shouldn't cost much at all. They can also do a "peak and tune" on your unit to make sure that it's on-frequency and putting out all the power it's capable of. Talk-back is a nice feature if you can have it added because you can hear yourself much like using a land-line phone.

What radio and antenna do you have?

7. Jul 22, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    2000SIG

Member:
    my 2 antenna are monted on the front of the box

8. Jul 22, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    2000SIG

Member:
    I bought the truck wit this radio ,a President????.And for antenna they are procomm.

Marc

9. Jul 22, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
    I don't know about the antenna but President radios have been around for quite a while and IIRC, have a pretty good reputation.

Which model is it?

I still think your best bet is going to be having your setup checked out by a local radio or CB shop. Even a ham radio shop should be able to help out.

Products Discussed in

To Top