Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Electronics Basics and Reference

Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #81
TacosNBurritos is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
TacosNBurritos's Tacoma Gallery
Is there any aftermarket fuse boxes that anyone can recommend or should I just order another fuse box from toyota and install that. I plan to keep all my mods desperate from the factory wiring as to not screw anything up. I realize I will have to tie into some points(ignition circuit) but I want to keep it minimal.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #82
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosNBurritos View Post
Is there any aftermarket fuse boxes that anyone can recommend or should I just order another fuse box from toyota and install that. I plan to keep all my mods desperate from the factory wiring as to not screw anything up. I realize I will have to tie into some points(ignition circuit) but I want to keep it minimal.
Blue Seas Aux Fuse Block is what most run on here
Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #83
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
Blue Seas Aux Fuse Block is what most run on here
or an sPOD
Old 12-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #85
TacosNBurritos is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
TacosNBurritos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That sPOD looks great! It has relays already mounted, sweet! I will likely need two and install them in a nice box like the Factoy mounted one under the hood. Location is unknown. I'll also need to convert to dual batteries and upgrade the alternator to support the electrical load.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #86
claymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant future

Name: Clay
claymore's Tacoma Gallery
I have tried to find this, but no luck. How many relays can 1 switch activate safely? How do you do the calculations? I am wondering if I can have several sets of lights (led), all wired individually to there own relay and fuse, but activated by 1 switch.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #87
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
I have tried to find this, but no luck. How many relays can 1 switch activate safely? How do you do the calculations? I am wondering if I can have several sets of lights (led), all wired individually to there own relay and fuse, but activated by 1 switch.
questions are how many amps do the lights draw individually & all together?, how many amps can the relay handle?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #88
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. You have your questions backwards. There is a high likelihood you can wire all your LED lights into one relay. LEDs take up very few amps. Figure out how much your lights draw, and make sure your relay can handle it.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #89
AZDesertTRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Pamela
AZDesertTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #90
budshupe is on a distinguished road
Name: bud
budshupe's Tacoma Gallery
is sticky still around???? I have questions about potentiometers maybe you can help me with
Old 04-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #92
Li0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Captain
Name: Lionel
Li0nel1234's Tacoma Gallery
Dear OP,

Thanks for this thread. It has helped me understand a lot. I saved it to my faves. I vote this should be a sticky somewhere.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #93
daebin5 is on a distinguished road
Name: Daebin
daebin5's Tacoma Gallery
installing a cigarette lighter

I have my dash dismantled and cleaned up the mess of wires that were left dangling from my trucks last wiring job. I want to hook the cigarette lighter to use for powering up my phone. I know I need to run the wires to a fuse of 15w and I have know idea what color wire I need to use to connect to the proper wire the leads to the fuse box.
I have a wire running with a 30w fuse from the battery to my stereo amp under the passenger seat and I need advise on whether or not I can use this wire to power my lighter? My thinking is to put a connecter out from the amp wire and link it to a 15 w fuse that then runs to the c. lighter. Then run a ground wire to somewhere under the dash and screw it in. Will this be a good Idea?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #94
daebin5's Tacoma Gallery
So i did some more research and discovered that the brown 12v accessory wire leading off the fuse panel is my wire, so I think i will simple connect this wire to the C. lighter and ground the c. lighter to a screw under behind the dash.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #95
daebin5's Tacoma Gallery
brown wire failed power test

I went ahead and tested the brown wire and it had no electrical pull on the light test, so I am going to assume it is a bad wire.

I still need to know if I can do my original plan, which is to connect the C. lighter 12 volt cord with a 15v fuse and connect it to the amp power cord?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:42 AM   #97
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by daebin5 View Post
I have my dash dismantled and cleaned up the mess of wires that were left dangling from my trucks last wiring job. I want to hook the cigarette lighter to use for powering up my phone. I know I need to run the wires to a fuse of 15w and I have know idea what color wire I need to use to connect to the proper wire the leads to the fuse box.
I have a wire running with a 30w fuse from the battery to my stereo amp under the passenger seat and I need advise on whether or not I can use this wire to power my lighter? My thinking is to put a connecter out from the amp wire and link it to a 15 w fuse that then runs to the c. lighter. Then run a ground wire to somewhere under the dash and screw it in. Will this be a good Idea?
My first question is: wasn't the cigarette lighter already wired and fused from the factory, or are you doing some modifications? I'd recommend rewiring the original wire(s) to the original fuse location.

I do not recommend connecting your cigarette lighter to the amp fuse for a number of reasons:

1. The amp likely needs upwards of 20-30A to operate, or else the manufacturer wouldn't have recommended such a size of fuse and wire. Connecting another load to the same power line will rob power from the amp thus reducing its "headroom". In other words, say that the amp typically operates on 20A, and then you turn on your cigarette lighter that draws say 10A, this might blow your main 30A fuse. Do you want your stereo to shut down every time you use the lighter? Note: the scenario above is a slight exageration and fuses are typically rated higher than necessary, but it could happen if your amp is under load from high volume and multiple speakers. Although USB (i.e. phone charger) is relatively low current (~2A), who's to say you don't use the cigarette lighter sometime in the future to run a vacuume or tire pump, which draw a lot of current!

2. Amplifiers enjoy clean power. Anytime you introduce other loads or noise on the power or ground lines of an amp, you risk reducing the quality of the sound. I would not compromise the amp or speaker wires (i.e. cut, splice, etc).

3. Some amps are very sensitive to voltage transients. Adding a load may in fact damage your amp. This is particularly true if running something like a vacuume or pump. Without getting into too much detail, just know that electric motors can send jolts of electricity backwards down the power line. This could be damaging to your amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daebin5 View Post
I went ahead and tested the brown wire and it had no electrical pull on the light test, so I am going to assume it is a bad wire.

I still need to know if I can do my original plan, which is to connect the C. lighter 12 volt cord with a 15v fuse and connect it to the amp power cord?

Are you sure the wire is bad? This is not likely if it is a factory installed wire, unless you modified it in someway. Check if the fuse is good and installed properly. Also, most cigarette lighters only work when the key is "on" not in "accessory". Try testing it again with the truck in "on" or running if in doubt.

If all you want to do is provide a USB charger for your phone, I recommend reinstalling the original factory cigarette lighter circuit and/or locating the standard 12V "Accessory" circuit in the truck. Tap off of that rather than messing with your amp.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #98
drop4205 is on a distinguished road
drop4205's Tacoma Gallery
so how would you properly hook halo lights to my parking lights on a 2014 tacoma
Old 07-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #99
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drop4205 View Post
so how would you properly hook halo lights to my parking lights on a 2014 tacoma
Check out the original post, it outlines wiring up a circuit with a relay. I don't know the specifics of your application and/or any kit or prefabricated wiring harness you may have purchased, but the basics of using a relay are the same.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #100
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Nice thread. Surprised I havnt seen this before. Agreed it should be a sticky though. Would save me alot of PMs haha jk guys I dont mind all the questions