Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Broken foot rest, long rant...

Old 06-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Broken foot rest, long rant...

I bought my truck last Wednesday the 11th. Didn't have a single issue with it. On Wednesday the 18th I dropped it off with an audio/electronics store in Winchester, Va for an alarm install.

When they finished that afternoon another company, Rhino Linings of Winchester, picked it from the audio store so they could install some chrome trim and vent shades for me. They had done my Nerf bars and topper for me last week. I was picking up the truck from Rhino on Thursday when they finish with it.

Thursday morning the 2nd time I got out of the truck the foot rest comes flying out at me.

I was close to Rhino lining so I went back to Rhino Lining and talked to the owners wife and helper, they didn't know anything about it. They had recommended the audio shop and I wanted them to know what issue I had.

I'm figuring the audio shop broke the foot rest when they were working on the wiring.

I went back to the audio shop and the owner there insists it was broken when he got the truck. He won't budge off of that. He tells me he told the owner of Rhino about it. I talked to Dave at Rhino later and he confirmed that.

All I know is the truck was a week old and I didn't have a flying foot rest when I dropped it off. Rhino wasn't working inside the truck either.

Here is the broken foot rest, what do y'all think did this kind of damage? Specifically what do you think might have caused this?

It's going to cost me 26 + shipping for a new one.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
looks like they either ripped it off at an angle and dicked up the posts....or effed em up when trying to put it back on
Old 06-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Me thinks they took it off and put it on the ground, forgot to put it back on and drove over it with your truck when they moved it. Are there any markings, scratches or gouges on the other side?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #4

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
I think they effed it up when they tried to put it back on. The top and sides look brand new, like they should.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #5

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
I swung by my dealer, they are going to get me a new 1 under warranty.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS. View Post
I swung by my dealer, they are going to get me a new 1 under warranty.
good job man!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
bigdtheguitarman is on a distinguished road
bigdtheguitarman's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same exact thing happen to me with my '06!!! It probably wasn't a year after I had bought the truck when the foot rest broke. I would occasionally try to pull my wallet out of my back pocket while still sitting in the seat, which would require me to put weight on my left foot in order to raise out of the seat a little. I remember hearing it crack a few times until one day it just completely broke off. I have yet to replace it......

Does anybody know of an aftermarket piece this can be replaced with that might be a bit more sturdy????
Old 09-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtheguitarman View Post
I had the same exact thing happen to me with my '06!!! It probably wasn't a year after I had bought the truck when the foot rest broke. I would occasionally try to pull my wallet out of my back pocket while still sitting in the seat, which would require me to put weight on my left foot in order to raise out of the seat a little. I remember hearing it crack a few times until one day it just completely broke off. I have yet to replace it......

Does anybody know of an aftermarket piece this can be replaced with that might be a bit more sturdy????
Same thing on my 09. Might try a couple of small hose clamps around the plastic mounts to try and strengthen it up a bit. BTW, I haven't replaced mine yet either. I should try the warranty thing first though since I'm still under it.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Mine broke similar to the wallet thing mensioned above. have not replaced. seems to b a week part.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #13
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Thought I was the only one with a jacked up footrest.

WTF? Lemme repeat, WTF???

Damn thing just fell off one day and I looked at the back and it literally looks just like the OPs. I've never messed with it.

It's still attached by the bottom female connection, but it jiggles.

However, a brand new one....less than $6.00 from the dealer. Yay for preformed plastic!

Picking it up today.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Thought I was the only one with a jacked up footrest.

WTF? Lemme repeat, WTF???

Damn thing just fell off one day and I looked at the back and it literally looks just like the OPs. I've never messed with it.

It's still attached by the bottom female connection, but it jiggles.

However, a brand new one....less than $6.00 from the dealer. Yay for preformed plastic!

Picking it up today.
I had to replace the one on my old tacoma and found that this thing is the only reasonably priced toyota part ever made. so many other injection molded pieces of plastic in the truck that cost waaaaay too much. So many people go without replacing them or try to ghetto rig them because they think they are expensive like everything else. Less than $10 out the door, might as well just replace it. Mine even came with the little white plastic fastener things.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
anyone have a part number for this, same issue here, cant find the part for the life of me online anywhere.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #16
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Same thing on my 09. Might try a couple of small hose clamps around the plastic mounts to try and strengthen it up a bit. BTW, I haven't replaced mine yet either. I should try the warranty thing first though since I'm still under it.
Just fyi, my dealer replaced mine under warranty,,, for those still under warranty anyway.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
I want a Painkiller!
Noslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Noslow100's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was broken when I bought the truck used last year. Good to hear its cheap. I need to order a new one because I know I am gonna do something tragic to my left foot one day when I am doing the wallet thing as well.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
Drabbit17 is on a distinguished road
Name: Diego
Drabbit17's Tacoma Gallery
mike..

By any chance to you have the part number of the foot rest.. I need one for my tacoma but I havent been able to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS. View Post
I bought my truck last Wednesday the 11th. Didn't have a single issue with it. On Wednesday the 18th I dropped it off with an audio/electronics store in Winchester, Va for an alarm install.

When they finished that afternoon another company, Rhino Linings of Winchester, picked it from the audio store so they could install some chrome trim and vent shades for me. They had done my Nerf bars and topper for me last week. I was picking up the truck from Rhino on Thursday when they finish with it.

Thursday morning the 2nd time I got out of the truck the foot rest comes flying out at me.

I was close to Rhino lining so I went back to Rhino Lining and talked to the owners wife and helper, they didn't know anything about it. They had recommended the audio shop and I wanted them to know what issue I had.

I'm figuring the audio shop broke the foot rest when they were working on the wiring.

I went back to the audio shop and the owner there insists it was broken when he got the truck. He won't budge off of that. He tells me he told the owner of Rhino about it. I talked to Dave at Rhino later and he confirmed that.

All I know is the truck was a week old and I didn't have a flying foot rest when I dropped it off. Rhino wasn't working inside the truck either.

Here is the broken foot rest, what do y'all think did this kind of damage? Specifically what do you think might have caused this?

It's going to cost me 26 + shipping for a new one.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
Drabbit17 is on a distinguished road
Name: Diego
Drabbit17's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Think it is 5819004021
Old 07-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Mines the same way. I pounded my fenderwell so far in it broke the clips. But my guess is they forced it back in poorly.