1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Charcoal Canister

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by toyotacoma, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Jan 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    T.O.taco

T.O.taco New Member

Member:
    Vancouver, bc
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5
    Hey, I picked up my taco a couple weeks ago outside Vancouver. So I drive through the mountains a lot and my CEL seem to always turn on the day after I do that. I hooked up the obd-2 an after a bunch of googleing, all the codes point to the evap system, but when I reset the light, it stays off until after the next time I'm in the mtns. Anyone else notice anything like that???

2. Jul 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    smallWorld

smallWorld New Member

Member:
    AK
    TRD Off-Road Pkg
  3. Mar 18, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    ztcolman

ztcolman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCLB SR5
    Old Man Emu 3" suspension lift 17" Moto Metal MO970 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Leer 100R Topper Carpet camper kit
    Update on the charcoal canister for my 2010 Tacoma:

CE light kept being triggered by charcoal canister codes AFTER it was replaced. Had the ECM replaced and that didn't work. Switched back to the old ECM and then had my mechanic (shout out to EVERYONE at Jones Tire and Auto in SLC, particularly Chester) tear apart the wiring harness. The problem was the amps going back to the charcoal canister. Needed a little manipulation, but after putting the harness back together (not replacing the harness) it solved the problem.

Don't go back for more charcoal canisters. Don't get a whole new ECM. If you or someone you know can pull apart the wiring harness and manipulate the wires to read the correct amperage, that should be your fix. All that said, try the gas cap and the CCV first!

4. Nov 2, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    kwilk

kwilk New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma
    none
    My charcoal canister has been replaced 3 times at approximately 60k, 75k and 94k miles... approximately $1600 total The last time the canister was replaced the check engine light and evap codes appeared again the next day and a valve was replaced. This lasted about 3 days and the check engine light came on again with evap system codes. I was over a 1000 miles from the dealership. When I returned to the dealership they found and noted on the invoice that a fuel line was "properly replaced" on top of the fuel tank. I drove to breakfast and then to the gas station where gas poured on the ground under the truck. The dealership was literally across the street. A hard line on the gas tank was leaking [NOT THEIR FAULT ????]… after correspondence with Toyota and several discussions with the general manager and the service manager I was given a $300 credit off a total bill of $1900 starting with the canister. I could not take this anymore and sold the Tacoma to a local used car dealer..... probably would have been fine but having replaced 3 canisters I could no longer trust the system and certainly not the competency [nor the honesty] of the local dealer.

5. May 27, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    Alberto521

Alberto521 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alberto
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4.0

Sorry for bumping old tread. I work at a shop (service advisor) and we have warrantied a customer's evap canister twice (the OEM one was full of fluid, i advised customer to stop "topping off" fuel when getting gas) , we also found that the evap canister filter had a small crack on it and replaced it as well.

Now he is coming back today because his CEL is back on, I showed my technician this thread and he's wondering, what do you mean by manipulating the wires? Is there any way you could contact that shop and ask them exactly what they did?

I do not think it is a cold weather issue, we are in Chicagoland, but it is May 2020 and it's toasty... it has; however, been raining a lot.

Thank you!

edit: 2009 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L V6 4WD, ~68k miles

edit 2: Original codes:p2401, P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, P2419,

Codes that re appeared:
    6 Engine codes, 3 ABS / VSC / TRC codes, 1 SRS (Airbag) codes, 1 Inmobilizer codes

P0455, P0441, P0441, P0455, P0441
    - C0210 (Speed sensor fault) C0215, C1201
    - B1660

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  6. Jul 2, 2020 at 10:17 AM
    PapaBear

PapaBear Never test how deep the water is with both feet.

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB PR 4.0... Aaaand she’s GONE
    Soft Suspension Hard Rubber ®
    Anyone have an issue ever ordering a charcoal canister? OEM Part Source of course buys their parts straight from Toyota, but they’re saying my charcoal canister is on backorder, and the “only way” to get it out of back order is to provide my VIN...

Products Discussed in

To Top