Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Charcoal Canister

Old 07-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
toyotacoma is on a distinguished road
toyotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Charcoal Canister

So I have had to go to the Toyota dealership at least 5 times to have them replace the charcoal canister that lights up my "check engine" light on my dash...
I got it replaced once again a few days ago and the light stayed off for the remainder of that day but them came back on the next day. Has anyone had this problem before?
Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
bump, anybody?!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't had that particular problem but when you fill up on gas are you pushing in every last drop possible, all the way to the top of the filler tube? That's a pretty common way to trash the charcoal canister.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurpeeBlueMetallic View Post
I haven't had that particular problem but when you fill up on gas are you pushing in every last drop possible, all the way to the top of the filler tube? That's a pretty common way to trash the charcoal canister.
The guy at the dealership asked me that same question and no, haven't done that at all with my Tacoma. So I am lost as to why that code keeps popping up, especially the day after
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Was the duty valve replaced aswell? I see this code on camrys and siennas all the time.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
What does a trash charcoal cannister hinder in our trucks?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb11701 View Post
What does a trash charcoal cannister hinder in our trucks?
It doesn't effect anything (runnability wise) if you have a CEL for this. Only thing it'll hinder is alittle more engine emissions. Oh and money out your wallet haha
Old 10-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Bumping this.. Anyone else having this issue?

My truck is throwing P0451 and P0453, The dealer has replaced my canister 3 times in the past 2yrs.. Its been about 5 months since they did the last one and from these codes I believe its the canister again.

When I get gas I let it pump until it auto shuts off and dont try to add anymore..

Getting real tired of having this issue. Anyone have some new info on this issue?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

When my truck was maybe 5 months old and had 5,000 miles ... the check engine light came on and charcoal canister was bad and dealer replaced it.

Dealer said it was first ever for them at that low mileage ... dealers are liars, liars, pants on fires ... lol ...

EDIT ... I stopped ... "topping off my tank too" ... dealer said "topping off tank" gets overflowing gas into the charcoal filter.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
pebbles is a name known to allpebbles is a name known to allpebbles is a name known to allpebbles is a name known to allpebbles is a name known to allpebbles is a name known to all

pebbles's Tacoma Gallery
I suspect that Toyota dealer screwed you.Mine always tried to persuade me to replace it or have some work done on it,the job brings several hundred dollars in business.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebbles View Post
I suspect that Toyota dealer screwed you.Mine always tried to persuade me to replace it or have some work done on it,the job brings several hundred dollars in business.

Its never cost me any money, just time taking the truck there and picking it up. Im getting tired of dealing with the CEL every couple of months.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
pebbles is a name known to allpebbles is a name known to allpebbles is a name known to allpebbles is a name known to allpebbles is a name known to allpebbles is a name known to all

pebbles's Tacoma Gallery
My 2000 Tacoma only had it done once when I had the 120,000 miles service at the local dealer 5 years ago.They recommended it.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Do you park on any hills or have a steep driveway? Could cause an overflow situation into the charcoal canister if the tank is full.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #14
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Might also be a leak in the evap system someplace. Quite the pain to figure out though from what I understand. I've heard of them attempting a smoke test around the evap system to look for a leak.

Also assuming that you/they have checked the gas cap?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
ride BMX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Do you park on any hills or have a steep driveway? Could cause an overflow situation into the charcoal canister if the tank is full.
Just drive on normal hills to work and back (non I would really call hills), and where I park at my house is almost perfectly level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Might also be a leak in the evap system someplace. Quite the pain to figure out though from what I understand. I've heard of them attempting a smoke test around the evap system to look for a leak.

Also assuming that you/they have checked the gas cap?
Gas cap is all good, im leaning towards the leak somewhere in the evap system, this is happening way to often. Im going to take it to the dealer the next day I get off work in time, and see what they have to say about it this time. Im not familar with the whole system enough to try and diagnose this leak if there is one.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #16
ride BMX!

bump

Took my truck back in today to get the CEL off since my emissions are due.. They said the canister was bad and a broken filter?

My warranty is going to cover the charcoal canister but I had to pay for the $85 filter... And that would make this the 3rd canister to go in my truck since I bought it new in 08.

Anyone new on here having problems with the canister?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #17
GiverDeaner is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
GiverDeaner's Tacoma Gallery
Based on the codes it does not seem like a leak,(high input indicates a plugged vent circuit).It could be a intermittantly stuck closed canister close valve(usually associated with low temperature),water in the vent circuit,or plugged fuel tank air filter.This seems consistant with the dealer replacing the charcoal canister as a canister that was full of fuel would set this code.I hate to rub the internet crystal ball but almost every time this code is due to the canister close valve(not sure what toyota calls this part).And linked with cold weather(Condensation freezing in the ccv diaphram).P.S.To some of the other replies, the dealer is not trying to screw anyone,they are not perfect.And definantly not screwing someone that has warranty,they are humans just like all of us.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #18
ride BMX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiverDeaner View Post
Based on the codes it does not seem like a leak,(high input indicates a plugged vent circuit).It could be a intermittantly stuck closed canister close valve(usually associated with low temperature),water in the vent circuit,or plugged fuel tank air filter.This seems consistant with the dealer replacing the charcoal canister as a canister that was full of fuel would set this code.I hate to rub the internet crystal ball but almost every time this code is due to the canister close valve(not sure what toyota calls this part).And linked with cold weather(Condensation freezing in the ccv diaphram).P.S.To some of the other replies, the dealer is not trying to screw anyone,they are not perfect.And definantly not screwing someone that has warranty,they are humans just like all of us.
Thanks for the info, I will ask a few questions about the canister close valve. I am not sure what filter they are replacing, but what ever it was was broke off, I was asked if I been offroading any, the service girl was nice enough to tell them I havnt . Hoping this is the last time I have to goto the dealer about this problem..
Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #19
ride BMX!

OK, getting really fed up with this.. I got my truck back from the dealer this past thursday, they replaced the charcoal canister and the charcoal canister filter, and told me that was the only problem. I have only put about 40miles on the truck since I picked it up and havnt even put gas in it yet, and the CEL is back on . I did put my stock intake back on, not sure if that matters..

My scangauge is giving me the p0451 code again and thats what it it was throwing the first time I had the canister replaced. So assuming its that again, what in the hell can cause it to go bad this quick?

P0451 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #20
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotacoma View Post
So I have had to go to the Toyota dealership at least 5 times to have them replace the charcoal canister that lights up my "check engine" light on my dash...
I got it replaced once again a few days ago and the light stayed off for the remainder of that day but them came back on the next day. Has anyone had this problem before?

Yep, I had this problem and had my charcoal canister replaced within the first couple months of buying my Tacoma new in March 2009.

Tech at dealer told me to NOT top off the fuel tank ... because fuel overflows in fill pipe gets in the canister when you do this. ...