Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4x4 Problems

Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
mlaulis has a spectacular aura aboutmlaulis has a spectacular aura about
mlaulis's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 Problems

I just purchased a Tacoma access cab, 4x4, manual, 4 cly. Had it three weeks and wanted to use four-wheel drive to keep it lubricated. It went into 4HI fine, but when I slow down and turn, one of the rear wheels seems to lock up a little bite. It even chirps when I try to get it going. When I am moving straight everything is fine. Is there a problem with traction control? Is it because it's new? Should I take it to the dealer?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
No, you don't drive in 4wd on pavement and take turns. If you want to engage it for the sole purpose of lubrication, then only do it on a straight stretch of road.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
mlaulis's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info.

So, if it raining and the roads are slick I still shouldn't use the 4HI?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
No, it isn't necessary.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Do not run 4x4 on dry pavement, even straight the small differances in tire size and slight wheel movement create uneven wheel speeds. This causes driveline fatigue over time.
Wet pavement and other low traction times are when you can run 4x4. Not necessary on wet roads, but fine for monthly cycling.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Kentucky Boy
YotaDude01 is a jewel in the roughYotaDude01 is a jewel in the roughYotaDude01 is a jewel in the rough

YotaDude01's Tacoma Gallery
turning on pavement can tear up joints, bearings, maybe even the 4x4 shafts. you shouldnt turn on pavement wet or dry. (but if its snowy you can because your inside wheels will be able to turn easier and you shouldnt have the risk of breaking something). but driving in a straight line should be fine.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #7
mlaulis's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, never had this issue with my old jeep. So, do any of you guys actually drive the ten miles a month to keep the thing lubricated? I guess you fine a road that's straight for ten miles :-)
Old 07-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #8

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaulis View Post
Wow, never had this issue with my old jeep. So, do any of you guys actually drive the ten miles a month to keep the thing lubricated? I guess you fine a road that's straight for ten miles :-)
Nope, I don't. The passenger side drive shaft (half shaft) is still connected to the spider gears so they spin as the wheel spins. As long as the diff is full, you're good.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
There's similar discussions on this forum...use the search function for more reading. Basically, driving on dry pavement, particularly turning, is extremely bad!! I don't bother with the recommended 10 miles, but if I find myself in a heavy downpour, I'll go ahead and flip it on just to get things lubed up, but I don't go out of my way to make it a monthly maintenance item.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Kentucky Boy
YotaDude01 is a jewel in the roughYotaDude01 is a jewel in the roughYotaDude01 is a jewel in the rough

YotaDude01's Tacoma Gallery
i dont do the full ten miles. ill put it in 4x4 if im goin through a field or if i go down a gravel road or drive way. but before i get back on the road ill take it out of 4x4. i dont do it nowhere near the 10 miles though.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
The last time I used 4wd was in February during a snow storm, so last week I took the truck off road and engaged 4 hi and 4 lo and had no issues what so ever. I wouldn't worry about the 10 miles per month, just use it when you can, and never on dry pavement. Like others have said, if you do engage it on dry pavement, make sure you are going straight.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
mlaulis's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
mlaulis's Tacoma Gallery
I finally got an offical answer from Toyota about driving in H4 on dry pavement. Here it is:

The vehicle can be driven and turned on dry pavement when engaged in H4 (high speed position, four-wheel drive). Never drive the vehicle in L4 (low speed position, four-wheel drive) on dry pavement, as this causes severe stress on the drivetrain and should only be used at low speeds and when it requires maximum power and traction such as climbing or descending steep hills, off-road driving, and hard pulling in sand or mud. We recommend that you drive the vehicle in H2 (high speed position, two-wheel drive) under normal driving conditions and that should be used the vast majority of the time. You can find more information regarding the four wheel drive system on page 177 in your owner's manual.

Sincerely,
Francisco Landaverde
Toyota Customer Experience

But based on the experience, I won't be making any shape turns, even at slow speed, in H4 on dry pavement.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
You will have a difficult (and not need to use it) time steering on dry pavement when in 4WD... This is because you are 'locked' with the rear axle, and the front tires turn more than the rear... that is the 'binding' you are reading about. While you could use 4WD during rain storms, with the TRAC and VSC the Tacomas now have to reduce skidding and tire slipping while in 2WD, you just don't need it.

Save it for OFF the Pavement (Off Road) or when show is covering the highways! Low Range is just that, low, low gearing for more torque power to climb and crawl up (or down) STEEP grades or to muscle through deep snow/ mud/ stuff!

The A-TRAC (if you were wise and got an Off Road TRD) works to give you locker-like traction on all 4 wheels when in L4 (push A-TRAC button once).

Now, go four wheeling!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
YeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Honor Guard-Now out of Honor Guard getting ready for MK "A" School
Name: Thomas
YeahYeah's Tacoma Gallery
in order to use it without hurting it; use only when slippery(snow,ice,mud,sand issues). needs slip.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Just dont turn sharp... like parking and full lock turns and its fine. It will bind like that even in the dirt and your tires will always be what slips... it wont destroy your vehcile.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you are using 4wd on the street to keep it lubricated just don't turn at all. Even tires that aren't rotated can cause binding. No need to break parts and you can when there is binding. Some trucks just take longer to break.