Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

First time on beach

Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
beachtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: John
beachtaco's Tacoma Gallery
First time on beach

I recentlly purchased a 95 Tacoma 6 cyl 5speed. I'm on vacation this week and heading down to the beach. How do these things do in the sand? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
best thing to do is air down your tires and hold a steady speed while trying to avoid sudden/sharp turns. if you have, or can get one, even an inexpensive air compressor from an autoparts store with do the job of pumping your tires back up just fine. if you cen't get one, a bycicle floor pump can be used as well, just keep in mind that it'll take 5-10 minutes per tire and your arms will turn to noodles (personal experience, and the reason i have a compresser now).

have fun at the beach!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
^ nailed it. Don't be afraid to run 15-20 psi on soft sand.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
^ nailed it. Don't be afraid to run 15-20 psi on soft sand.
or even 8-10% depending on the size of your tires
Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
beachtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: John
beachtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
bigred_d is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigred_d is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigred_d is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigred_d is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigred_d is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigred_d is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigred_d is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigred_d is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigred_d is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigred_d is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigred_d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Darren
bigred_d's Tacoma Gallery
I just got back from Oregon and went down on the beach. I didn't change the tires or anything, I just drove on!

I was worried about getting stuck or something, but my wife and some friends just said to go for it. After we got back, I was watching the news and a Ford truck got stuck on a Washington state beach and the tide came in and destroyed it. They never thought about the tide coming in, but that was my main concern. If you're stuck in the woods, you have lots of time to get unstuck, but if it's the ocean, you better hope the tide isn't coming in!

;D
Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
A foot pump is another option. Your legs can do the job easier than a hand pump.