LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

open diff gearing question.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
open diff gearing question.

So last nite I was trying to verify that I have 4.56 gears in my open diff, even though I already checked the door code, I was curious anyway.
I wasn't quite sure how to do it and eventually figured it out. (was only turning the wheel 1 full revolution and initially had both wheels in the air).
Initially I jacked up at the rear diff and raised both rear wheels off of the ground and proceeded to turn the wheel 1 revolution. Naturally the other wheel turned in the opposite direction.
What i then realized was that I had never taken the transmission out of park.
Is this normal for open diff carriers?
Is it because there is no resistance on the wheels?

I would think that if the vehicle was in park that the transmission would be locked preventing the rear wheels from turning at all.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
For reference in case anyone searches for gear code
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/...php/Gear_Codes

The drive shaft wasn't spinning was it?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
For reference in case anyone searches for gear code
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/...php/Gear_Codes

The drive shaft wasn't spinning was it?
eh...I cant remember. I was to concerned with why the tires were spinning at all.

Come to think of it, I dont think it was. That was what made me think about what gear selection I was in. Then when my buddy looked to see he was like "wth", it's in park.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The drive shaft probably wasn't if it was in park. The tires will still spin because there is no load (truck weight + friction) against them.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #5

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Thats what I figured. Thx