Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2007 paint chipping

Old 06-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
2007 paint chipping

I was wondering if anyone out there had a problem with their '07 tacoma's paint. I just noticed tonight that I have about 30 or more spots on my tuck where I can see bare metal. They are only the size of a small bb. And on some areas I can see the paint is almost like a bubble. What would cause this. Its on all areas of the truck. So its not that I was following to close to a gravel truck. I am nervous that my new truck will be a rust bucket in a year or so.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
I was wondering if anyone out there had a problem with their '07 tacoma's paint. I just noticed tonight that I have about 30 or more spots on my tuck where I can see bare metal. They are only the size of a small bb. And on some areas I can see the paint is almost like a bubble. What would cause this. Its on all areas of the truck. So its not that I was following to close to a gravel truck. I am nervous that my new truck will be a rust bucket in a year or so.
I have a few chips , I havent counted them, but I off road my truck pretty good, so I havent given it a thought.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #3

I havent went off roading yet. I have been so careful not to get any dings in it or scratches. It sits in a garage all week long. I drive the work truck untill the weekends. My last tacoma was scratch and ding resistant. I tried to beat that truck and I couldnt. This new one is pampered and it looks like its a rock climber. I guess i am going to have to treat it like a truck from now on and not a cadilac.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I havent went off roading yet. I have been so careful not to get any dings in it or scratches. It sits in a garage all week long. I drive the work truck untill the weekends. My last tacoma was scratch and ding resistant. I tried to beat that truck and I couldnt. This new one is pampered and it looks like its a rock climber. I guess i am going to have to treat it like a truck from now on and not a cadilac.
Have you talked to the dealer about it?
Old 06-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #5

Not yet. I noticed it about 20 minutes ago. And its now 9 pm on a sat. here in NY. I will have to wait till monday. I was up in the adirondaks early this week. I know they have had a problem with acid rain up there. I wonder if that would have played a part in this.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #6

So i guess I am the only one that had this happen. lol great
Old 06-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
So i guess I am the only one that had this happen. lol great
I dont think you are the only one. I think many people might not notice.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
No I saw another thread like this about a month ago. Irregardless, if you have "bubbling" and it's 'lifting' the paint up off the basecoat-it's obviously an adherent issue,no? Call the 800 and get something going with them.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
Bluestreak is on a distinguished road

Bluestreak's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2007 that has 18000 miles that i have had a year now, i also have noticed alot of paint chips 20-30 and i have a bug deflector. I live in Oregon where there is alot of rock on the road and i just kind of blamed it on that, but maybe there is a problem with the paint?? my truck is speedway blue and it looks like yours is red so obviously its not color related. i have chips on the door by the handle, rocker panel, hood, back passenger side by the trd sticker on the bed, and of course by the transparent sticker on the front of the bed before the rear fenders, so also places where the paint shouldnt have chipped. I have touch up paint and fix the chips as they come but i still know where they are!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:32 AM   #10
BlueTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police - Dog handler
BlueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
where'd you get the touch-up paint? i cant find speedway blue anywhere.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
Bluestreak is on a distinguished road

Bluestreak's Tacoma Gallery
i ordered it through the toyota dlr that i bought from, Lums auto center Astoria Oregon. It matches perfectly.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #12
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I saw another thread about a guy who had the same problem and he ended up selling the Tacoma and buying a Ridgeline.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I saw another thread about a guy who had the same problem and he ended up selling the Tacoma and buying a Ridgeline.
lol, i posted that thread a while ago...I guess im lucky because my 05 doesn't have that many paint chips
Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
gvidas is on a distinguished road
gvidas's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure Toyota gives a standard warranty on 'body rust', i.e. no rust-throughs, for 5 yrs. So talk to a dealership: "hey, let's deal with this now, or in three years, when it's a solid block of rust."

Sounds like a factory problem.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard the paint on these things are 'thin' and/or weak. I've had my truck for a year and I know of atleast 3 chips so far. I can't complain and would consider that pretty normal.

I guess it all depends on where you're driving and what you're exposed to....whether its normal or not.

I would definately go to the dealer and have them take a look and atleast get your visit *on record*. A guy who used to run ashop down the street from me has an 05 - and the paint on his was horrible. He had sooo much rock rash behind his double cab doors that his black truck was grey in that spot. He actually got toyota to repaint his entire truck because of it.
So.....there are known cases of poor paint.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
BlueTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police - Dog handler
BlueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem on my 08. Chips everywhere, even places where they shouldnt occur, ie the tailgate. Also the paint scratches so easily and I'm starting to get some hazing spots.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #18
Jay_bruce is on a distinguished road
Jay_bruce's Tacoma Gallery
paint chips

I have noticed tons of small chip on the '07 I recently purchased. I am going to take it to the Toyota body shop and have them evaluate the hood, window A-pillars and wheel well areas.

I had a '98 taco that was virtually chip free, this 07 looks like its got "the rash."

Jay
Old 07-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #19
Stickers and new floormats arent Mods
weiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JK
weiser5150's Tacoma Gallery
my 08 Super White has two paint chips on the hood......I touched them up,but i still think the paint is very this .
Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #20
wistacoma is on a distinguished road

wistacoma's Tacoma Gallery
chipping paint

My 07 Tacoma also has chipping paint, it seems as if the smallest things hit it and it chips. i have noticed it by the back of my hood were the plastic window squeegee hits it everyone one in a while. It also seems to scratch easy too. I had a black subaru for 4 years before my Tacoma and never had as my paint chips and scratches on it as i have on my Tacoma. I got some touch up paint, but I am going to take it to the dealer first for them to see the chips and the rust on the bumper.