1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

does rain gutter have holes for OEM roof rack?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Snapper Ranchero, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    Snapper Ranchero

Snapper Ranchero [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Reno Nevada
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Relentless fab armor, cattleguard on front (useful here, lots of cows and sheep), nerfs for mom and pop, interior and exterior (bed) lights, Dual rack w/ lights, stripped off all the TRD decals, and stripes and painted chrome emblems same color as the truck. Grillcraft black grill w/ black paint in back, elusive elements light bar inside w/ additional lights, old grill cutout, yakima rack mount, better tires.
    I have a 4 door 2010 Tacoma. Does anyone know if there are threaded holes for the roof rack beneath the plastic rain gutters and if so, where they are? If someone has a diagram to share, thanks in advance.

The OEM roof rack mounts directly into the plastic strips on the roof, and I know some aftermarket roof racks call for drilling holes into the top. If there are already holes in the roof I'm going to try to modify a Yakima tower so I don't have the ugly clips on the sides. If the OEM model drills in then I'm looking at getting a nice after market drill in model.

The OEM rack looks nice but it only holds 75 lbs and I want to carry about twice that. Yakima and Thule will carry that.

Oh, and if there is a post on this, let me know. I did some looking but didn't have any luck in finding something. Thanks.

2. Jul 31, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    Just be careful how much weight you put on the roof rack.

Center of gravity will change.

I scared the shite out of myself once while making an evasive maneuver because some asshat pulled infront of me.

3. Jul 31, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    Yes there are holes there for the OEM one. The holes are under the rubber stripping on the sides.

I was thinking about having a company fab something up to mount right into the holes.

4. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    There was a guy over at TN who did this. Here is the link, his pics starts at post #13, username 69I46VERT
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...highlight=rack
    On his setup (Thule) the towers attach to the cleat. Not sure if yakima has a similiar deal, but alas it can be done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Aug 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    Snapper Ranchero

Snapper Ranchero [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Reno Nevada
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Relentless fab armor, cattleguard on front (useful here, lots of cows and sheep), nerfs for mom and pop, interior and exterior (bed) lights, Dual rack w/ lights, stripped off all the TRD decals, and stripes and painted chrome emblems same color as the truck. Grillcraft black grill w/ black paint in back, elusive elements light bar inside w/ additional lights, old grill cutout, yakima rack mount, better tires.
    Thanks. The link didn't work, but the pictures were exactly what I needed!

6. Oct 1, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    FastFalcon

FastFalcon Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 Sport
    Would you be so kind to post that link again? It doesn't work as posted, and searching by his username doesn't come up with anything either.

This is exactly what I have been looking for!

Products Discussed in

To Top