Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

does rain gutter have holes for OEM roof rack?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Snapper Ranchero is on a distinguished road
Name: Mitch
Snapper Ranchero's Tacoma Gallery
does rain gutter have holes for OEM roof rack?

I have a 4 door 2010 Tacoma. Does anyone know if there are threaded holes for the roof rack beneath the plastic rain gutters and if so, where they are? If someone has a diagram to share, thanks in advance.

The OEM roof rack mounts directly into the plastic strips on the roof, and I know some aftermarket roof racks call for drilling holes into the top. If there are already holes in the roof I'm going to try to modify a Yakima tower so I don't have the ugly clips on the sides. If the OEM model drills in then I'm looking at getting a nice after market drill in model.

The OEM rack looks nice but it only holds 75 lbs and I want to carry about twice that. Yakima and Thule will carry that.

Oh, and if there is a post on this, let me know. I did some looking but didn't have any luck in finding something. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Just be careful how much weight you put on the roof rack.

Center of gravity will change.

I scared the shite out of myself once while making an evasive maneuver because some asshat pulled infront of me.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Yes there are holes there for the OEM one. The holes are under the rubber stripping on the sides.

I was thinking about having a company fab something up to mount right into the holes.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
There was a guy over at TN who did this. Here is the link, his pics starts at post #13, username 69I46VERT
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...highlight=rack
On his setup (Thule) the towers attach to the cleat. Not sure if yakima has a similiar deal, but alas it can be done.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
FastFalcon is on a distinguished road
FastFalcon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
There was a guy over at TN who did this. Here is the link, his pics starts at post #13, username 69I46VERT
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...highlight=rack
On his setup (Thule) the towers attach to the cleat. Not sure if yakima has a similiar deal, but alas it can be done.

Would you be so kind to post that link again? It doesn't work as posted, and searching by his username doesn't come up with anything either.

This is exactly what I have been looking for!