Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Crossed battery connections

Old 07-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
fdmikee is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
fdmikee's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Crossed battery connections

2007 Tacoma V6 Double Cab. Ok, I'm not a mechanic. I got a new battery from Costco and went to put it in. Every time I tried to hook up the second terminal(tried 1, then the other) the horn sounded. It took a few tries before I noticed that the posts on the new battery were opposite of those on the old one. I exchanged the battery for the right one. Now the truck won't accelerate and the door locks and windshield wipers only work when the car is running. Any Ideas what I blew and how to find it?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
get a test light and check all the fuses....underhood fuse block and under dash fuse block
Old 07-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdmikee View Post
2007 Tacoma V6 Double Cab. Ok, I'm not a mechanic. I got a new battery from Costco and went to put it in. Every time I tried to hook up the second terminal(tried 1, then the other) the horn sounded. It took a few tries before I noticed that the posts on the new battery were opposite of those on the old one. I exchanged the battery for the right one. Now the truck won't accelerate and the door locks and windshield wipers only work when the car is running. Any Ideas what I blew and how to find it?
You mean they were marked backwards on the battery?
I woulda kept the battery for the impending lawsuit for damages.

Or do you mean that the post were actually reversed from the way the stock one is but they were indeed marked correctly?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
sounds like you popped a fuse or two. Best bet, is if your not mechanical is get it to a mechanic.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Most likely damage is the main fuse, alternator and starter, worse case is your ECU. I would have them run a diagnostic check to see what codes are coming up. BTW the battery you hooked up wrong is also fried.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Firefighter:
fdmikee's Tacoma Gallery
working on it

I found 2 blown 10A fuses. 1 was the Electronic Throttle Control Unit. The other was the radio. I exchanged the ETCU one for the A/C so at least I'll be able to get home in the morning. The wipers, door locks and power windows still only work if the car is running. All the other fuses look good. is there a one something that would control these problems?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Firefighter:
fdmikee's Tacoma Gallery
No, they were marked correctly. I didnt check until the horn honked. My bad, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
You mean they were marked backwards on the battery?
I woulda kept the battery for the impending lawsuit for damages.

Or do you mean that the post were actually reversed from the way the stock one is but they were indeed marked correctly?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdmikee View Post
No, they were marked correctly. I didnt check until the horn honked. My bad, I guess.
look at page 24 of FSM (wiring diagram, relay locations) There is 50 Amp fuse but I think this is one way fuse that supplys power from battery to Door locks and wipers.
In FSM says *2 50A AM1 (for High Current)
Hope that helps keep us posted