1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ignition locked up

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ray parnell, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    ray parnell

ray parnell [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    94 tacoma lowered
    My sons 94 tacoma's ignition locked up. I cant even get it to go to acc to release the steering, any suggestions

2. Aug 1, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    bambam

bambam Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Louisville Ky
    put the key in and smack the back of the key with the rubber end of a screwdriver while u turn the key, worked for me

3. Aug 1, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    InfidelTaco

InfidelTaco No better friend,No worse enemy...

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    AFE, Fox, Built Rights, Moog, SpiderTrax, Icon progressive, Grabbers
    I had the same problem before with a different toyota. There is something worn or cracked inside the ignition. Its another safety mechanism besides the electronic chip found inside of the key. I thought the computer wasnt recognizing the key. Not the case at all. after spending about $200 dollars on a replacement that didnt work and 2 days at the stealership, I only needed to remove the ignition and take it to a locksmith to repair it which cost me a mere $25 dollars. U can get it fixed by toyota for about $200. Hope this helps.

G

Let me know if u have a question about igniton removal. And Welcome to TW!!

4. Aug 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    turn the steering wheel hard left and try to turn the key, if that doesnt work, turn it hard right

5. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Yep this is what happens to me when the wheel gets turned with no key. You just have to get it in the center of the farthest you can go each way.

6. Aug 1, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    Just throwing something out there -- how about a drop of oil. It's worked for me on door locks and a
    Motorcycle ignition

Just an idea

7. Aug 2, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    ray parnell

ray parnell [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    94 tacoma lowered
    Thanks for comments but none would work. If i could just get it to the acc position i could pull the ignition but it won't turn at all. I guess i might have to call the stealership

8. Aug 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    I had this problem with my '85 K5. The ignition was worn out so I had it replaced.

A friend of mine was locked out of her car because her door lock/key was worn (the only lock on a Trailblazer is on the driver's door), so I sprayed just a bit of WD-40 on the key and inside the key cylinder and, SHIZAM! It worked like a charm.

9. Aug 2, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    blackbox

blackbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4cyl 5mt 4x4 Pyrite
    WD-40 or pretty much any other oil type lubricant does work great, but is not a good practice for lock mechanisms because they attract dirt which over time will make the problem even worse. There are non-dirt-attracting lubricants made specifically for locks, maybe ask at a locksmith shop, or use powdered graphite, comes in little tubes at any auto parts store. Might even find the lock type specific lubes there also, I don't know about that. I use graphite inside locks.

10. Mar 29, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    MikeP

MikeP Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western Washington
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 TRD
    The ignition on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD locked up after I parked with the left front wheel pushed against a curb (vehicle at 40 degree angle to the curb). When I got ready to leave the Fed Ex place I had parked at, the key would not turn in the ignition. The steering wheel was locked up tight and would not budge.

I had to use my jack to raise the left front wheel until it no longer was pinched against the curb and this apparently relieved the pressure on the front left wheel as I was then able to turn the steering wheel a little and then I could turn the key (rotate right) in the ignition so the engine started. What a bummer.

I had phoned the local nearby Toyota Dealership and they advised me to pull hard on the steering wheel but I could not budge it. The service guy at the Dealership said if that did not work I would probably have to have a tow truck come and pull my Toyota away from the curb to get that pinched left wheel away from the curb. The service guy did not tell me about using a jack to raise the pinched wheel. A clerk at a nearby Fred Meyer advised me about using the jack to raise my Toyota. I had just driven from Kelso to Seattle when this happened on 3/28/2011. It took me about 3 hours of messing around to get this situation resolved.

11. Mar 29, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    radioactivemint

radioactivemint Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab 4x4
    That's actually really good to know. Thanks, Mike.

12. Apr 16, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    pcrocker

pcrocker New Member

Member:
    forrest city, AR
    Vehicle:
    2001 4wd
    Ignition lock hangs when trying to start. Will eventually start when key is repeatedly placed and removed from the lock. This ignition has had this malfunction ever since vehicle was purchased new.

13. Oct 14, 2018 at 11:07 PM
    Mr.Man

Mr.Man New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota tacoma
    IGN. key sticks will not turn to start
    Hay guys, My elderly father just bough a new 2018 Tacoma. He’s only put 2000 mil. but he’s exspiranced the same condition most of you have. Not being able to turn the key to start his truck. He says he’s never experienced this before on any other vehicle he’s owned. But I know he has just not this often and not this hard to get the key to turn. When he parks he rarely puts the steering wheel in a neutral position or where there is no tension on the steering. When this happens all the force from the steering components are resting on the steering wheel lock mechanism. It takes the key/cylinder to release the steering wheel lock, if he rests the tires against a curb or Keeps pressure on the wheel when turning the ign. off it could easily end up putting pressure on the steering and again resting on the steering wheel lock. Making it extremely hard or darn near impossible to release all that pressure with a skinny little key. I’ve check for any TSB’s for this condition from TOYOTA, there’s none. So it looks like he’s just going to have to learn how to release the tension from the steering components when he turns the engine off so not to mantane pressure on the steering. Simple, by letting go of the wheel then turn the wheel a little one way then turn the other way then center the wheel trying not to rest the front wheels agenst anything hands off the wheel go to neutral than park. All vehicles have this condition it’s just Toyota’s are the worse the object is not to have any pressure on the steering when parking. Sounds like a lot but it should minimize this most frustrating condition. I sure hope this helps

14. Oct 14, 2018 at 11:13 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    My 2002 cylender locked up. Had it towed home and used the other brand new key that came with it.
    Worked like a charm. It was the key that was so worn that it finally stopped working and not the cylender.

15. Apr 11, 2019 at 6:39 AM
    mohMoto115

mohMoto115 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moses
    Vehicle:
    I
    My 06 Tacoma regular cab ignition is locked. How can I get it out? My key won’t turn at. Tried spraying oil in there, tapping with hammer, slamming wheel hard left/right.
    I just need to be able to start it and move it to a mechanic. Any ideas if drilling and sticking flathead into it will allow me to start it

16. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    penadam

penadam Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab Tacoma TRD
    Dealership can cut you a new key from the VIN, might be worth trying that.

Products Discussed in

To Top