Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

ignition locked up

Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
ray parnell is on a distinguished road
ray parnell's Tacoma Gallery
ignition locked up

My sons 94 tacoma's ignition locked up. I cant even get it to go to acc to release the steering, any suggestions
Old 08-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
bambam is on a distinguished road
Army: Infantry
Name: David
bambam's Tacoma Gallery
put the key in and smack the back of the key with the rubber end of a screwdriver while u turn the key, worked for me
Old 08-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
No better friend,No worse enemy...
InfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant future
Marines: iKill
Name: G
InfidelTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem before with a different toyota. There is something worn or cracked inside the ignition. Its another safety mechanism besides the electronic chip found inside of the key. I thought the computer wasnt recognizing the key. Not the case at all. after spending about $200 dollars on a replacement that didnt work and 2 days at the stealership, I only needed to remove the ignition and take it to a locksmith to repair it which cost me a mere $25 dollars. U can get it fixed by toyota for about $200. Hope this helps.

G

Let me know if u have a question about igniton removal. And Welcome to TW!!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
turn the steering wheel hard left and try to turn the key, if that doesnt work, turn it hard right
Old 08-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
turn the steering wheel hard left and try to turn the key, if that doesnt work, turn it hard right
Yep this is what happens to me when the wheel gets turned with no key. You just have to get it in the center of the farthest you can go each way.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Just throwing something out there -- how about a drop of oil. It's worked for me on door locks and a
Motorcycle ignition

Just an idea
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
ray parnell is on a distinguished road
ray parnell's Tacoma Gallery
ignition locked up

Thanks for comments but none would work. If i could just get it to the acc position i could pull the ignition but it won't turn at all. I guess i might have to call the stealership
Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
I had this problem with my '85 K5. The ignition was worn out so I had it replaced.

A friend of mine was locked out of her car because her door lock/key was worn (the only lock on a Trailblazer is on the driver's door), so I sprayed just a bit of WD-40 on the key and inside the key cylinder and, SHIZAM! It worked like a charm.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
blackbox will become famous soon enoughblackbox will become famous soon enough
blackbox's Tacoma Gallery
WD-40 or pretty much any other oil type lubricant does work great, but is not a good practice for lock mechanisms because they attract dirt which over time will make the problem even worse. There are non-dirt-attracting lubricants made specifically for locks, maybe ask at a locksmith shop, or use powdered graphite, comes in little tubes at any auto parts store. Might even find the lock type specific lubes there also, I don't know about that. I use graphite inside locks.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
MikeP is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
MikeP's Tacoma Gallery
Ignition Lock Fix

The ignition on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD locked up after I parked with the left front wheel pushed against a curb (vehicle at 40 degree angle to the curb). When I got ready to leave the Fed Ex place I had parked at, the key would not turn in the ignition. The steering wheel was locked up tight and would not budge.

I had to use my jack to raise the left front wheel until it no longer was pinched against the curb and this apparently relieved the pressure on the front left wheel as I was then able to turn the steering wheel a little and then I could turn the key (rotate right) in the ignition so the engine started. What a bummer.

I had phoned the local nearby Toyota Dealership and they advised me to pull hard on the steering wheel but I could not budge it. The service guy at the Dealership said if that did not work I would probably have to have a tow truck come and pull my Toyota away from the curb to get that pinched left wheel away from the curb. The service guy did not tell me about using a jack to raise the pinched wheel. A clerk at a nearby Fred Meyer advised me about using the jack to raise my Toyota. I had just driven from Kelso to Seattle when this happened on 3/28/2011. It took me about 3 hours of messing around to get this situation resolved.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
radioactivemint is on a distinguished road
Name: John
radioactivemint's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
The ignition on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD locked up after I parked with the left front wheel pushed against a curb (vehicle at 40 degree angle to the curb). When I got ready to leave the Fed Ex place I had parked at, the key would not turn in the ignition. The steering wheel was locked up tight and would not budge.

I had to use my jack to raise the left front wheel until it no longer was pinched against the curb and this apparently relieved the pressure on the front left wheel as I was then able to turn the steering wheel a little and then I could turn the key (rotate right) in the ignition so the engine started. What a bummer.

I had phoned the local nearby Toyota Dealership and they advised me to pull hard on the steering wheel but I could not budge it. The service guy at the Dealership said if that did not work I would probably have to have a tow truck come and pull my Toyota away from the curb to get that pinched left wheel away from the curb. The service guy did not tell me about using a jack to raise the pinched wheel. A clerk at a nearby Fred Meyer advised me about using the jack to raise my Toyota. I had just driven from Kelso to Seattle when this happened on 3/28/2011. It took me about 3 hours of messing around to get this situation resolved.
That's actually really good to know. Thanks, Mike.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
pcrocker is on a distinguished road
pcrocker's Tacoma Gallery
Problem with 2001 Gen 1 v6 ignition lock.

Ignition lock hangs when trying to start. Will eventually start when key is repeatedly placed and removed from the lock. This ignition has had this malfunction ever since vehicle was purchased new.