LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Locking Hubs issue? Front drive shaft spinning, but no wheels! GURU's HELP!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
daward [OP] daward is offline
Member
daward is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2008, #6873
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 41
daward's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to daward
Locking Hubs issue? Front drive shaft spinning, but no wheels! GURU's HELP!

So my first thread was me hitting the backwoods with my '99 2.7 stick Std Cab. My second will be asking what went wrong!

-I turn them to the lock position, but they don't engage the front half shafts or each other (My '99 has the manual locking hubs).

-I put the truck up on jack stands, and in 4hi & 4lo the front driveshaft is spinning in forward and reverse gears.

Is there something else I can check? A fuse? A relay? A solonoid?

Guru's: help! I want back on the trails
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 94,080
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
So my first thread was me hitting the backwoods with my '99 2.7 stick Std Cab. My second will be asking what went wrong!

-I turn them to the lock position, but they don't engage the front half shafts or each other (My '99 has the manual locking hubs).

-I put the truck up on jack stands, and in 4hi & 4lo the front driveshaft is spinning in forward and reverse gears.

Is there something else I can check? A fuse? A relay? A solonoid?

Guru's: help! I want back on the trails
If the drive shaft is spinning when you turn the tires and the hubs are locked, it sounds to me that they enguaged.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
daward [OP] daward is offline
Member
daward is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2008, #6873
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 41
daward's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to daward
The front driveshaft coming out of the transfer case (under the DS floor) spins, the half shafts going from the diff to the front wheels does not.

In addition, nor do the hubs lock each other as they should. If you manually lock both your front hubs and spin one wheel the other should also spin.

How is the 4wd engaged? Is there a vacuum diaphram that may have been knocked out? An electrical connection that may have gone out?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 94,080
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
The front driveshaft coming out of the transfer case (under the DS floor) spins, the half shafts going from the diff to the front wheels does not.

In addition, nor do the hubs lock each other as they should. If you manually lock both your front hubs and spin one wheel the other should also spin.

How is the 4wd engaged? Is there a vacuum diaphram that may have been knocked out? An electrical connection that may have gone out?
I think for your year, its a manual operation. When you put the transfercase in 4hi, can you spin the front Drive shaft by hand?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
daward [OP] daward is offline
Member
daward is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2008, #6873
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 41
daward's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to daward
I didn't try to spin the front driveshaft by hand, but I did try to spin the front wheels while keeping an eye on the half shafts and drive shaft. None spun, regardless if the hubs were locked or not.

Is any of this helping? LOL
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 94,080
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
I didn't try to spin the front driveshaft by hand, but I did try to spin the front wheels while keeping an eye on the half shafts and drive shaft. None spun, regardless if the hubs were locked or not.

Is any of this helping? LOL
Im trying to get a mental picture of the problem. I need you to do a couple things.
1. Hubs unlocked, transfer case in 2 hi. Do the front half shafts spin? And does the drive shaft spin?
2. Trans. case in 4 hi. do they still spin?
If they dont, sounds like the hubs are bad. Pretty easy fix. If the shafts still spin while in 4 hi, its a trans. case problem. Easy fix, but more $$$$
I have to get to sleep. Gotta work early, but let me know what happens with these tests and I will report back tomarrow afternoon.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
daward [OP] daward is offline
Member
daward is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2008, #6873
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 41
daward's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to daward
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Im trying to get a mental picture of the problem. I need you to do a couple things.
1. Hubs unlocked, transfer case in 2 hi. Do the front half shafts spin? NO And does the drive shaft spin? YES
2. Trans. case in 4 hi. do they still spin? Same answers as above
If they dont, sounds like the hubs are bad. Pretty easy fix. If the shafts still spin while in 4 hi, its a trans. case problem. Easy fix, but more $$$$
I have to get to sleep. Gotta work early, but let me know what happens with these tests and I will report back tomarrow afternoon.
I answered in BOLD above.

Next question: If it looks like a hub issue, what is involved in swapping out? Do you repair/rebuild/replace hubs?

Thanks for your quick replys, this feels like a public PM
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Janster's Avatar
Name: Jandy
Joined: Mar 2007, #1138
Location: Lancaster, PA
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,686
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
I answered in BOLD above.

Next question: If it looks like a hub issue, what is involved in swapping out? Do you repair/rebuild/replace hubs?

Thanks for your quick replys, this feels like a public PM
If you've got driven power to the wheels (in 4wd) and the wheels aren't turning - that does sound like a hub issue.
Download the appropriate service manual for your truck - lcate the hub diagrams.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

I don't know about the toy hubs, but hubs should be easy to work on. Once you find the diagram of the hubs in the manual - I would take the hub off and inspect it. Clean it out good and look for anything worn. Sometimes all they need is a good cleaning. Sometimes you can't see anyting in there. There might be a big spring inside and the spring might not function/engage properly.

Good Luck!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 94,080
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
If you've got driven power to the wheels (in 4wd) and the wheels aren't turning - that does sound like a hub issue.
Download the appropriate service manual for your truck - lcate the hub diagrams.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

I don't know about the toy hubs, but hubs should be easy to work on. Once you find the diagram of the hubs in the manual - I would take the hub off and inspect it. Clean it out good and look for anything worn. Sometimes all they need is a good cleaning. Sometimes you can't see anyting in there. There might be a big spring inside and the spring might not function/engage properly.

Good Luck!
Perfect info!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
daward [OP] daward is offline
Member
daward is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2008, #6873
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 41
daward's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to daward
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
If you've got driven power to the wheels (in 4wd) and the wheels aren't turning - that does sound like a hub issue.
Download the appropriate service manual for your truck - lcate the hub diagrams.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

I don't know about the toy hubs, but hubs should be easy to work on. Once you find the diagram of the hubs in the manual - I would take the hub off and inspect it. Clean it out good and look for anything worn. Sometimes all they need is a good cleaning. Sometimes you can't see anyting in there. There might be a big spring inside and the spring might not function/engage properly.

Good Luck!
I did find that link on a search last night.

I downloaded the 1995.5-1997 Toyota Tacoma PDF last night, funny you sent me there. The page (1056) I found is this one:



I should point out that I'm assuming here that I have a 'free wheel hub'... exploded view:



Is that what I need to pull apart? Am I on the right track?

I should also point out that I'm fairly comfortable with anything mechanical, with guidance I'm golden. Furthermore, Lancaster is less than an hour from West Chester, and I have a nice clean shop with a large beer fridge!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 94,080
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
I did find that link on a search last night.

I downloaded the 1995.5-1997 Toyota Tacoma PDF last night, funny you sent me there. The page (1056) I found is this one:



Is that what I need to pull apart? Am I on the right track?

I should point out that I'm fairly comfortable with anything mechanical, with guidance I'm golden. I should also point out that Lancaster is less than an hour from West Chester
Looks like what you need!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4 wheel drive on a 98 tacoma with locking hubs tenn 1st Gen. Tacomas 88 01-27-2012 08:35 AM
can I drive without the front drive shaft? ywen 1st Gen. Tacomas 12 09-29-2011 10:32 AM
Manual Locking Hubs Issue BoostingMS6 1st Gen. Tacomas 3 11-07-2010 04:40 PM
W/ Locking front hubs or W/O Locking Front Hubs? carib_taco Wheels & Tires 2 02-11-2010 10:11 PM
Manual locking hubs fit any wheels? dhappick Wheels & Tires 1 09-24-2007 11:08 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.