Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Cruise control racing the engine

Old 06-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Chomag will become famous soon enough
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
Cruise control racing the engine

I live in an area that has a few hills, and on the highway when I'm on a climb even though the hill isn't all that steep but may have a long slop.My control cruse control throws me into a very low causing my rpms to jump into the 5k+ rpms. It's so dramatic that it feels like I'm drag racing someone up the hill.

All of my other vehicles will of course downshift sometimes but never near as drastic as the cruse control is doing on my Taco. I often find myself laughing thinking to myself while I'm driving it up the same hills without the cruse engaged and it barely ever needs to even downshift to keep the speed going up the hill.

Anyways, I was wondering if this is just a common charactoristic of the cruse control for the Tacoma or that I might have a faulty one?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Pardon for this question - but ...I've heard of stranger things happening...

Do you have an auto or a manual?

What gear are you in at the time the rpm's go up to 5,000?

I'm gonna assume you have an Auto.... are you in "D" and not "4"?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The cruise control in these Toyota's likes to do that. My Dad's '07 Camry likes to downshift and redline doing 80MPH when the cruise is on, even though Florida is completely flat.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, makes you NOT want to use the cruise control due to the gas that you thought you were saving by using the cruise control going out the window when the fricken engine redlines for 30 seconds.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
VinnyBob is on a distinguished road
VinnyBob's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem on my 95 camry I guess its just one of those things I just turned it off when I came to a hill
Old 06-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
gas goes to shit when the cruise control is used on these trucks
Old 06-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Chomag will become famous soon enough
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
Heh, looks like its just something I'll have to get used to. Thanks all for the replies though.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
The cruise on my 96 Avalon was great, it didn't act this way. My 97 Tacoma, my 05 Avalon and my new 2008 Tacoma do. It's a PIA.