Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

cb antenna ground or not....

Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
cb antenna ground or not....

Ok so I got my uniden 520 and am about to order a 4' firestick firefly and coax, stud mount and bracket. Guy at local shop said I don't need to ground the antenna that the metal mount will ground it when bolted to bed. I've heard otherwise. Also if I move mount say to tool chest that is mount In bed on top of bed liner, I will then need to ground antenna right. I searched this and kinda came up with different opinons.

So for grounding would this cable and stud mount be best
http://www.wearecb.com/store/firesti...ble-p-276.html
http://www.wearecb.com/store/firesti...unt-p-248.html

Or stick with this and just drill hole in metal bracket and run a ground from that....
http://www.wearecb.com/store/firesti...unt-p-249.html
http://www.wearecb.com/store/firesti...ble-p-259.html

Kinda a lot of links but want it right the first time. Thank you for any input that may help.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I grounded the antenna and the cb itself!! Just to be on the safe side.
Plus my father in law been using CBs and Hamm radios for over 30 years and he told me too. 
Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Ya radio part gets grounded for sure. Not sure which of the two ways I listed is better to ground the antenna. Leaning toward the cable with "fire ring" for the antenna coax side. How did u ground the antenna. Obviously to frame bolt or such, I mean on the antenna side.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Call your CB or antenna manufacturer - they are very helpful and will educate you for free on the concept of ground plane. Or you can get an antenna that does not require one.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
aka Senor Tacorojo

EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I got the ground plane down and I understand the concept of grounding...I was wondering if one of the two ways I showed/asked was better from peoples opinions or experiences. I'm gonna ground it either way. I just liked the stud mount that had the 259 coax connector. Basically what is a but setup, read that a lot of people had issues with their grounds.