1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Air conditioner compressor grind on start up?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by widget, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Sep 15, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    Fatal Exile

Fatal Exile Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5, 4X4, LB, Double
    2010 Tacoma with 500 miles was started at 105 degrees outside temperature, 2:00pm on Tuesday (9/15). I showed up at dealership at 2:40pm Wednesday, 110 degrees (9/16) to be present with the techs when they started it up for the second time since they had it (my truck stayed there overnight). Right at startup the truck made the noise, and the shop foreman saw that at the same time as the noise the inlet oil line going into the AC pump was shaking around really bad, and he also saw the pump clutch try to kick on and off really rapidly. He said the smoke was from the serpentine belt slipping on the clutch pulley and the noise that I was hearing are the bearings in the clutch grinding when the compressor can’t make up its mind to kick on or off. He said the reason why it makes the noise at startup is because when you drive the truck and prior to shutting down you do not shut off theca, the AC pump keeps the oil lines compressed during the time your engine is shut off. When you go to start it back up the pump thinks it is already running (the clutch is engaged) so there is a load right away on the pump at start up which causes the belt on the pulley to slip, and for the fail safe on the compressor itself to kick in on and to disengage the clutch (this is when the noise quiets). My truck smokes when this happens and the foreman says that THIS IS NOT NORMAL. So he said they are ordering a clutch, compressor, and some other things that have to do with the AC. He also said it might be from if at the factory the AC unit was overcharged, and in hot conditions will make more pressure in the lines than normal (which will also cause the compressor to think it’s on right at start up). The tech did say you should not start your vehicle up with the AC on for longer life purposes, BUT he also said there is NOTHING saying you can’t start it up with it on also. All in all I had 2 techs, 1 foreman, and 2 service managers huddled around my engine bay when this happened, so there is no saying it didn’t happen =)

2. Sep 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    Fatal Exile

Fatal Exile Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    My god, I could not have said it any better!!!:cheers:

3. Sep 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.

X2 to the exact. I cringe a bit but the AC kicks ass so im not sweating it ( no pun intended )

4. Sep 15, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    Taco2K10

Taco2K10 All OEM All Japanese All The Time!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Chilliwack, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2010 2.7 5spd 4x4 AC SR5
    3K HID Foglights, Husky Liner mats, Autoventshade Ventvisors and Bugdeflector, OE Toyota Class III Hitch and OE 4 Wire Trailer Harness,
    Ive got a noise and a burnt rubber smell sometimes, no smoke. Noise sounds like a gattling gun kinda.... smell is present after/during running ac and exiting vehicle....

5. Sep 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    v8killerturbo4

v8killerturbo4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ft Worth Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4
    Stock!
    Hmm I've got a 2010, I keep my AC on all the time even at startup and don't have this problem. Hope it doesn't start! Almost sounds like the AC pressure switch has a problem.

6. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    widget

widget [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    Bump & Thanks to Fatal Exile for all the detail on his dealership experience with this issue. I used to live in Scottsdale but moved in early 90's...not sure what dealership you visited (?), but when I was there and had a Camry, Big Two over in/near Chandler I think, was really good. Camelback and Scott Toyota tried to rip me off more than once (rat bastards). My Camry was still under warranty and they did stuff (replaced a "computer" twice @ $300 each time, etc.) I think just to get the billing/profit. Keep in mind that dealerships profit center is the service not sales.
    The techs who looked at your truck sound like they "might" think they know the issue - but forgive me, I'll believe it when you come back and say, "hey, you know they did the repair, it's been 4 months and with all the use, I've heard no grind or anything." I'm a bit leary of anyone wanting to replace all the stuff that they said there were going to do on your Taco. I'm sure you're glad it's under warranty and maybe they're right and you'll be good on all this. But personally, it just sounds to be a bit much. Like I mentioned earlier in a post on this subject, the dealership here told me they (finally) heard a "noise" and did "some" belt adjustment. Now, I've not yet heard it again, BUT am not yet ready to say "hey, it's fixed!" I hope and wish I can, but let's give it some time.
    Also, your mention of leaving the AC on vs. off when turning off the truck - for me, this doesn't work - I've always (been in the habit and) turned off anything extra turned on before I shut off the engine...and that definitely includes the AC (buttons and switch). I've tried this both ways (leaving on, turning off, after initial start-up from overnight vs. start-up again from having been running during the day (no overnight 8 hr "rest"), and just about every combination I can think of. Whether it is switched off or left set to "on" and turned off - IF it sits overnight, it made the short grind noise.
    I still go back to what I said earlier - it is not normal AND if everyone when they visit their dealership, who is having this issue/experience tells them about it and gets it documented on the service ticket, then it goes in the Toyota system and does two things: 1. covers you later on if something addition/bad happens since they didn't find the cause, and 2. Toyota has it in their system so if there are numerous issues, it will kick out a report for further review and might be noticable enough to become (as I was told) a "known issue" and get a factory recommended fix.

Sorry to be so lengthy here, but I like my Taco, I'm passionate about it and the care taken and given to it. I think everyone on here is that same way otherwise they wouldn't be on here and talking and concerned about issue and sharing fixes and views. It's stuff like this that we all need to be on the "same page" and stay on it to insure we get the attention and resolution we need to the investment we have and care about.
    Fatal Exile (and anyone else) please be sure to let us know what happens on the service repairs and results from all your efforts!
    Thanks!!!

7. Sep 16, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    Fatal Exile

Fatal Exile Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Widget and others,

1)
    I enjoy reading lengthy posts; you get more out of it (like you’re talking to the person face-2-face) :)

2)
    I bought, and having it serviced/repaired at Avondale Toyota in Avondale, AZ (suburbs of Phoenix, AZ)

3)
    I agree with you Widget on the issue of service being the money maker.

4)
    You’re like me, I won't say its "FIXED" until a LONG while after the issue is gone.

5)
    THE MEAT AND POTATOS:
    This how it all went down today.
    I called the dealership up today about 3pm to ask what they decided to do with my truck. I spoke with the shop foreman, and he told me that him and 2 other techs all looked at it at separate times (and made the noise again for one of them) and they all concluded that the A/C clutch was bad right out of the gate. He also said they the "dummies" at Toyota over pressurized my AC Unit which will also cause an unavoidable extra load on the AC compressor. SOOOOO...He went ahead and ordered a New AC compressor, AC Clutch, and a Serpentine Belt (since that one has been slipping from the issue). Although I trust them (we all trust the dealership right????:rolleyes:), before I took the truck in for them to figure this problem out I took a paint pen and marked the compressor, clutch, hoses, and belt to KNOW FOR SURE that it has been replaced and I told them I want to see my old parts. I mean I have no reason not to trust them....yet, but I have been screwed like that from Cadillac before and now I am just a little gun-shy. Funny was, The whole time yesterday when I was in there waiting for everyone so I could have them around to start the truck up the head service manager came out and talked to and said, "You know that noise your hearing is a known issue right?". I said,"Yah I heard something about that"(as I was waiting for him to just go back into his closed off office to go back to twiddling his thumbs)........Anyways the foreman said the parts should be in tomorrow so they will start on it then. I am keeping my fingers crossed.....

6)
    I spent about 4 months (about 3 hours a day of solid research) researching which new truck to get F-150, Titan, Tacoma, others, and after that long time I broke down and Bought my 2010 Tacoma SR5, 4X4, Double Cab, Long bed.

7)
    Apparently Avondale Toyota was the first in America to be a "No haggle, No hassle" dealer for Toyota. This was nice for me.

8)
    With all is said and done I walked out with my 2010 Toyota Tacoma SR5, 4X4, Double Cab, Long bed W/ Floor mats, D-ring's in Bed, Tie down anchors, Skid plate, Upgraded Rims, Blue tooth, Deluxe radio, Towing Package, and "tint" for $27,091.00. I know someone ALWAYS gets a "better deal" than me, but I feel I got a good deal on my pride and joy:D

9)
    Not to get to far off topic, but I would like to talk about the sale a smidge more. They gave me over KBB "excellent condition" for my paid off trade. They brought up the exact truck I wanted to look at from Tucson, AZ for me. We were working the numbers with all three of the rebates for the truck then we found out I was only suppose to get two of them. I told the General Sales Manager It's not my fault you guys screwed up, and being that he was prior military as am I he credited the rebate anyway for me (but boy was he PISSED at the sales guy:eek:).

10)
    I really look forward to keeping you all updated with this AC issue, and let’s hope for the best! :cheers:

8. Sep 17, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

Note to self: Don't buy a 2010 Taco

9. Sep 17, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I look forward to finding out if this fixes the issue. I'll be mentioning my concern over mine next time I have a chance to take it to the dealership. I haven't had any ill effects from it, but if my ac gets destroyed I want it documented that the grinding noise was there.

10. Sep 20, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    widget

widget [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    Thanks for all the feedback Fatal Exile - we'll all be looking/watching to see how all this goes down for you. When I lived in AZ., I don't think Avondale had a Toyota dealership. I'm glad you got a good deal and hope that these repairs take care of the issue. However, would you do us all a favor? Go back to that dude who told you that this was a known issue and ask him if there is a TSB or anything put out about this - let him know that you have a couple of buddies who live out of state and are having the same issue. This type of info would be really valuable for all of us. The statement about "overcharging" is somewhat bothersome as I find it difficult to believe this would happen with so much repetition (and if so, evidently from so many different mfg locations!).
    I like my 2010 - and we'll all get through this - it's just good to have documented service on such issues for future reference should it be needed.

This will definitely be one of those "to be continued" threads....
    - hang with us Fatal Exile and keep us up to date on what you determine!!

Thanks!

11. Sep 20, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    Yota1

Yota1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    mine does the same thing, going to ask them about it, as well as the leaf spring tsb

12. Sep 20, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    4drLB

4drLB Active Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    I have experienced the same sound with my 2010. Also i have though that my AC was still on after I have turned it off ( button off and temp knob not in max position). I was still getting cold air and my windshield was collecting condensation on the outside. This was not just for a minute either. It seemed continuous.

13. Sep 21, 2010 at 1:49 AM
    Fatal Exile

Fatal Exile Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Hi all,

I have not forgot about you all, I just don't have any new news yet. They still have my truck, and I still have their loaner. Can't imagine it being to much longer... I will find as much out for you all and do as much recon as possible and to get it your guys way ASAP

14. Sep 23, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    I have had the exact same grinding noise for the past few months and I never knew what it was until I took my truck in to get the exhaust done today. The guys took a look at it and came up with the AC compressor as the reason for the noise.

They quoted me $700 to replace it? Seem fair? Feel like it shouldn't be going out yet... 55k miles.

15. Sep 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    TampaDude

TampaDude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Riverview, FL
    Vehicle:
    '06 Silver 5-Lug Access Cab
    I have a 2006 Tacoma, and it has done the same thing since I bought it. It only happens when the truck has been sitting overnight, or all day in the hot sun. I've gotten into the habit of turning off the A/C before turning off the engine, and when I start the engine, letting the truck run for about 30 seconds before turning on the A/C. That seems to avoid the grinding noise. My A/C works fine and blows ice cold. I can't imagine that whatever is causing the grinding noise is good for the A/C, though.

16. Sep 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    I'll have to try that!

17. Sep 23, 2010 at 11:31 PM
    Fatal Exile

Fatal Exile Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    After 10 days at the dealership, the mechanics finally "fixed" the issue. As of now I have not heard any noise coming from the AC system, but I will be reenacting the scenario every time I start up the truck to make sure that the "fix" worked. Before the fix I was able to here a small clicking sound (NOT THE SAME SOUND AS THE TERRIBLE ONE) when the AC clutch kicked on and off, which is completely normal and you hear it in almost all cars when you’re sitting there at idle. Now when the truck sits at idle with the AC on full blast you can have your face (ears) right up to the AC system and as your watching the clutch engage you can't hear anything! It's like I am deaf it's so quiet now. I posted a pic that is a clip of my service ticket so you all can look at the "problem" and see what they did to "fix" it.
    I will also be keeping you all up to date on a WEEKLY basis to let you know if the "fix" still has the issue "fixed" NOTE: I use the word "fixed” loosely because I am not going to say it's really fixed until I NEVER hear that damn noise again.:pray: I don't know if my problem was the EXACT same as all of yours but I sure do hope this helps you all! Let me know what you guys think.

scan0001.jpg

18. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    BKKMAN

BKKMAN New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 - 4 Cyl
    I've had the same problem with my Tacoma. Grinds for a second or two upon start-up after not having been running for a day or two. Have had it into the dealership numerous times with no resolution. First time I demonstrated the sound to the service manager (after having left it sit in their lot for a few days), his response was "Uhhhh...never heard THAT sound before". (He later denied to Toyota ever saying that despite witnesses.) One dealership replaced the compressor - grinding continued. Same dealership replaced the compressor clutch - grinding continued. Dealership escalated it to Toyota Engineering - their response was that it was a "normal vehicle sound". Went to another dealership where the service manager, lead mechanic and myself started up about 5 other new Tacomas (that were sitting in the lot) and 4 out of the 5 made the same grinding noise when the AC was initially switched on. Toyota's attitude is that this is not a problem if so many Tacomas make the same horrid noise. (Suspect they considered using the same logic for the sticking throttles on their other vehicles). Also contacted "Toyota Customer Care" to try to get resolution and they did not care at all.

I am wondering if it is a leaky check valve in the compressor. Anyone know if the compressor (or compressor clutch) supplier is the same one used for earlier models???

This is my first Toyota... and definitely will be my last. Plus... sharing my "Toyota Experience" with anyone and everyone I come across who is considering buying a Toyota product.

19. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    Fatal Exile

Fatal Exile Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    almost 2 weeks, noise hasn't came back yet

20. Oct 5, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    Here's something interesting: my wife's bspn Dodge Ram 2500 does the same thing. Has there been some industry-wide shift in materials, technology, compressor design, etc.?

Products Discussed in

To Top