Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2010 Air conditioner compressor grind on start up?

Old 10-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #41
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
Here's something interesting: my wife's bspn Dodge Ram 2500 does the same thing. Has there been some industry-wide shift in materials, technology, compressor design, etc.?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #42
widget is on a distinguished road

widget's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't think something making a grinding noise as this does (and now apparently a Dodge) would be "normal." Per Fatal Exile's last post, his repair seems to have resolved the issue, however I'm not so sure that everyone is going to be as fortunate to get a dealer to make such a repair unless there it truly is a "known issue" and has a TSB that's been issued and I'm not aware of such a bulletin (if someone else knows otherwise, please let us know). I have about another 6 wks left on my "all encompassing" 1 yr. warranty and I really appreciate any and all info possible before my 1 yr warranty is up.

Plannerman99, you didn't mention but I'm assuming you have a new Dodge; have you been back to the Dodge dealer about the noise, what did they say?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #43
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by widget View Post
Plannerman99, you didn't mention but I'm assuming you have a new Dodge; have you been back to the Dodge dealer about the noise, what did they say?
I haven't been back to the dealer to ask about her Dodge yet, but will soon. I'll let you know what, if anything, they say.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #44
scott8357 is on a distinguished road

scott8357's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 4X4 Taco and it is making the same a/c "grunt" noise. This has been a great forum for finding information, and now I feel like I have hit the jackpot (thanks Fatal Exile). I too bought my truck from Avondale Toyota, and use them for my service. I will try to get them to repeat your same service steps to mine and post back with updates.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #45
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
*BUMP*

Anyone have any info on this? Mine is doing it, too.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #46
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
The sound you are experiencing is liquid flood-back to the compressor. In the off-cycle, liquid refrigerant migrates to the coolest position in the system, being the evaporator. When you start up your A/C when it's been shut off for a long time, the liquid accumulated in the evaporator slugs the compressor inlet and causes the noise you're hearing. Compressors are meant to be a vapor pump, so the liquid is actually causing damage to the compressor's valves. The easiest way to fix it is to regularly run your AC system.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #47
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
Very interesting. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #48
PR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nice
PR45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
The sound you are experiencing is liquid flood-back to the compressor. In the off-cycle, liquid refrigerant migrates to the coolest position in the system, being the evaporator. When you start up your A/C when it's been shut off for a long time, the liquid accumulated in the evaporator slugs the compressor inlet and causes the noise you're hearing. Compressors are meant to be a vapor pump, so the liquid is actually causing damage to the compressor's valves. The easiest way to fix it is to regularly run your AC system.
Run mind darn near every time I'm in it, all year long, and it still makes that wrenching grunt when you turn it on.....
Old 07-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #49
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
Nice. Let's create a AC system that will self destruct.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #50

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR45 View Post
Run mind darn near every time I'm in it, all year long, and it still makes that wrenching grunt when you turn it on.....
Yeah, mine has been doing it almost every day this summer. Mostly happens when I leave work and it's been sitting in the heat all day.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #51
ky taco
chopper is on a distinguished road

Name: chop
chopper's Tacoma Gallery
my compressor is locked up so it dont work at all
Old 07-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #52
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Nice. Let's create a AC system that will self destruct.
Well, it's not just ours, it's nearly every AC system that doesn't have a pumpdown solenoid or some means of keeping the refrigerant in the condenser during the off-cycle.

That is why, if you are an absentee homeowner, you should keep your thermostat set at something like 80-82 degrees rather than just shut off all of your disconnects or circuit breakers- so the system runs occasionally.

Another down-side to liquid migration is that compressor oil usually migrates with it- leaving you with an under-lubricated compressor that slugs on start-up. Not a good situation.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACK View Post
Yeah, mine has been doing it almost every day this summer. Mostly happens when I leave work and it's been sitting in the heat all day.
Exactly- the refrigerant wants to stack in the evaporator, probably because your condenser is sitting dormant at 110+ degrees, or maybe even quite more as engine heat dissipates or direct sunlight shines on the front of your truck, and your evaporator in the cab of your truck is going to be substantially less than that.

At 110 degrees, the R134a in your condenser is going to be at 147 psi. Say the inside of the cab of your truck is at 80 degrees and your evaporator matches that temperature, the refrigerant is going to be at 86 psi. Hence it's inclination to migrate.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #54

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
Why haven't I heard this noise from any of my past vehicles?

Is there anything that can be done to ease the grind & make the startup easier on the compressor?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I see that you're an HVAC tech
Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #55
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Argh, mine does it daily. So, if the logic is to run it more because it causes damage , then i'd just have to leave it off for a month at a time instead of daily so as to do less damage that it does do.......daily.

Who makes these things for toyota n dodge? k-mart?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #56
Blake28104 will become famous soon enoughBlake28104 will become famous soon enough
Name: Blake
Blake28104's Tacoma Gallery
Mine dose the same thing ! i never drive dirt roads just normal 30 mile commute to work . and every once and a awhile it makes a grinding sound